CW's Back Yard Water Garden Begins!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@GBBUDD: Totally. I have a feeling I'll end up doing the faux boulder there because the stream that will start under the deck will go right by it, so it will blend in well. Maybe form it so that it's inviting to sit on. Can test out making one really cheap and if I don't have the artistic chops for it, can do something else.

Another idea I just had was to tuck the hot tub into the corner of the house and the deck and build a small deck/steps over it that can be used to access the hot tub or dangle your feet in the stream.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I really hate small boulders. They're big enough that they are back breaking to carry around all day, small enough that they cover very little liner and are incredibly difficult to set sturdy if you have to stack them. And they look silly next to big boulders.

If I ever do this again, I will not buy any rocks small enough to be carried by a human. At least not until I can't fit any more big ones in there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If I ever do this again, I will not buy any rocks small enough to be carried by a human. At least not until I can't fit any more big ones in there.
like landscape rocking, I think if you use only large ones, you don't get that 'natural' look. Though, I take your point. I'd expect smaller stone as you go upwards, to some degree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@brokensword: Yes, you are right. Groan.

Got a break in the weather today. Pumped out the bottom of the pond and got back to work weaving smaller boulders into the larger ones. Still hate it. :)

Realizing that one thing that will make it easier is backfilling voids behind boulders with small cobble and 2-3" gravel to create flat bases to build on. I just don't have much laying around and don't want to run to the rock yard.

I saved all the drain rock that got dug out of the bottom of my excavation. Sifted the soil out of it and then drilled a bunch of holes in an old poly wheelbarrow to shovel it into and rinse it. Still a lot of small, gritty material in the finished product and takes forever. Can't be bothered. Probably going to throw it all in somewhere and hope for the best.

I am going to have so much cleaning to do before I start filling. And probably going to have to drain and fill several times to get all the dirt out. Will hit the whole pond with a pressure washer and clean up the mud before filling. Planning now to just buy loads of quilt batting for everything that is still left behind after that.

Oh, and I did a little calculatin' today. I'm at $10k on this pond and haven't even bought pumps yet. Don't tell my wife.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
lmao..................... hummm lets find her!
ah, no; solidarity, here, @addy1 , @combatwombat ! Gotta help a brother in his time of need. There'll be plenty of times (if not already) of looking the other way when the shoe box(es) come in...or a price tag is left on a dress...perhaps even when he sits hisself down on the comfy lazyBOY and realizes ALL his channels start with HALLM...

Do you KNOW how many koi I can get for just ONE trip to the hair salon????

so, ah, no; we AIN'T gonna do any sucha thing!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
NO pump NO bog,.. no pea stone, 3/4, 1-2 3-4 rock, Plants, lights, fish , top soil Oh and the additional 20 ton of rock, and patio. MONEY MONEY MONEY

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Remember @combatwombat - once you fill that pond, what's underwater will become far less noticeable. I'm always shocked now when I look at photos of our pond in progress with just rocks and no water - it looks soooo different.

But yes - you do need small cobble in the building process to both help fill voids and stabilize those bigger rocks. The gravel helps "lock" things in place when you need it, and like you said helps you build a stable surface to add the next layer.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
so, ah, no; we AIN'T gonna do any sucha thing!!!
Since I am the wife whom had open bank account pond building I would never turn in a ponder.

But I kept our expense level at under 5k even with the pallets of rocks I bought. My system is "simple"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
My elderly Dad - who lives hundreds of miles away - is putting in a small pond. He called asked me to order and send him a pump and he will mail me the money. His comment was "I know it's a pain but this way, it won't show up on any of our statements and no one else will see it." No One Else is my Mom! :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If your filling in behind rock then i would not worry about cleaning to much. But when you start getting the shelves to rock then i would wash the rock good or your koi or any fish while sifting through the bottom will always silt up the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Filling in behind rock work with drain rock is really a game changer for these 1 and 2-man boulders. So much easier to place and sturdier too. Eating up more water volume, though. And may God have mercy on my soul. Some of the stuff I was tossing in today while exhausted and drenched in rain was very very dirty.

Before doing the final fill, I plan to pressure wash all my rocks and get every bit of dirt I can down to the bottom of the pond and then fill up the very bottom and pump out several times to get all the gunk out.

Talked to the water dept. today. I have until Nov. 12 to get this thing filled without affecting my sewer rate for next year. So, now I have a hard date to work with. Of course, I saw a youtube video today about installing a DIY irrigation well in your backyard and thought, "gee, that would be handy for filling the pond."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Filling in behind rock work with drain rock is really a game changer for these 1 and 2-man boulders. So much easier to place and sturdier too. Eating up more water volume, though. And may God have mercy on my soul. Some of the stuff I was tossing in today while exhausted and drenched in rain was very very dirty.

Before doing the final fill, I plan to pressure wash all my rocks and get every bit of dirt I can down to the bottom of the pond and then fill up the very bottom and pump out several times to get all the gunk out.

Talked to the water dept. today. I have until Nov. 12 to get this thing filled without affecting my sewer rate for next year. So, now I have a hard date to work with. Of course, I saw a youtube video today about installing a DIY irrigation well in your backyard and thought, "gee, that would be handy for filling the pond."
when I first built my house, and it's in suburbia--an area which had been around and populated for at least 60 years, found me face to face with the prospect of NOT having city water and dealing with a well. Would never have thought it was normal for my area but sure enough, it was. Unfamilar with wells, I wasn't happy at the time. I can remember back in 1987 drilling it and the cost was like 6K. But it was my only choice so we did it.

Now, I'd actually promote a well, especially since about 10 years after we dug, the Association got city water in and I balked because to only hook up, it was 2K, not including actual installation/digging. Then, it would have been as much as my well. Now, it would be closer to 10K. Suffice it to say, MY lawn is green all the time. Suffice it to say when I read stories where people grimace at filling up their pond, even topoffs, I smile knowing my well is taking good care of me.

Anyway, by DIY irrigation well, you're talking about digging a shallow well, then? That's all that came up when i googled. If it's possible, definitely do it, especially if the cost isn't scary; I love that I don't have to pay for water and never worry about dechlor.

Ask a Question