CW's Back Yard Water Garden Begins!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
when I first built my house, and it's in suburbia--an area which had been around and populated for at least 60 years, found me face to face with the prospect of NOT having city water and dealing with a well. Would never have thought it was normal for my area but sure enough, it was. Unfamilar with wells, I wasn't happy at the time. I can remember back in 1987 drilling it and the cost was like 6K. But it was my only choice so we did it.

Now, I'd actually promote a well, especially since about 10 years after we dug, the Association got city water in and I balked because to only hook up, it was 2K, not including actual installation/digging. Then, it would have been as much as my well. Now, it would be closer to 10K. Suffice it to say, MY lawn is green all the time. Suffice it to say when I read stories where people grimace at filling up their pond, even topoffs, I smile knowing my well is taking good care of me.

Anyway, by DIY irrigation well, you're talking about digging a shallow well, then? That's all that came up when i googled. If it's possible, definitely do it, especially if the cost isn't scary; I love that I don't have to pay for water and never worry about dechlor.

I’d have to check the name again, but there’s a system where you just pound 1” galvanized pipe into the ground until you can pump water out of it and call it a day. How tired your arms get depends in how low the water table is and your soil composition.

Probably totally inadequate for domestic service, but good enough for watering the plants and filling the pond.

At my size, I think I don’t have to deal with any water rights issues ( they’re really complicated out here in The West) but I read that “all wells in Washington must be installed by a licensed driller.” Really, though, who’s going to notice a 1” pipe sticking out of the ground in the back yard?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Filling in behind rock work with drain rock is really a game changer for these 1 and 2-man boulders. So much easier to place and sturdier too. Eating up more water volume, though. And may God have mercy on my soul. Some of the stuff I was tossing in today while exhausted and drenched in rain was very very dirty.

Before doing the final fill, I plan to pressure wash all my rocks and get every bit of dirt I can down to the bottom of the pond and then fill up the very bottom and pump out several times to get all the gunk out.

Talked to the water dept. today. I have until Nov. 12 to get this thing filled without affecting my sewer rate for next year. So, now I have a hard date to work with. Of course, I saw a youtube video today about installing a DIY irrigation well in your backyard and thought, "gee, that would be handy for filling the pond."
careful i have been seeing report after report about extreme water shortages out there and some possible drastic first time restrictions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@GBBUDD: Yes, it's a big problem out west, but not as much here in the PNW. We're not immune, though.

Bog linger arrived yesterday, so setting the waterfall spillway(s) for the bog today before digging the pit. Feeling a bit nervous about it because the rocks are big and I won't be able to move them once the bog is dug if I get it wrong.

Had the thought this morning that if I turn the footprint of the bog 90º, I might still be able to maintain access. That would be at the expense of making the whole pond system even longer than it already is. Will take some measurements once the sun is up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
More rocking progress today w/ Dad. Now have the bottom shelf totally rocked in and almost the whole top shelf rocked. Area rocked today will need to be built up more with smaller boulders to get above water level.

Also got a test fit of the waterfall spillway from the bog (wide, flat stone in upper right of 2nd photo). Going for a 2.5’ wide sheet falls straight into the pond. We left the sling on it so we can make more adjustments and pick it up to slip the bog liner underneath when we’re ready to dig the filter.

Won’t be a tall falls—just 4-6”— but should look interesting with its width.

Setting the spillway for a sheet falls is challenging.

900DDCF7-C746-4A8B-9EB9-A5EA53DD2F78.jpeg
B2FFD366-8E8F-40FD-91C1-D4B6D3BDA37D.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@combatwombat I can't stress enough to raise the bog and get at least a foot in height for the falls . By the time you have a 6 inch drop install a 2 inch minimal thick rock you don't have a falls you have a stream with a drop.. raise the bog use the excavation spoils to build up around the bog . Hell throw a quick 6x6 around the bog and hide it latter when more funds are available. You'll regret not lifting it. I regret not going installing another layer of mafia blocks that would have given me a two and a half foot drop minimal. I could have made that look amazing. I know all the work is alot and you want nothing more then to get water flowing but don't cut corners now you've come a long way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@GBBUDD: It's not really about cutting corners. I want this pond to look natural, and I'm also running out of space. My yard is flat and there is no space left for a berm. Raising the bog would require a retaining wall, which I feel would make it look less natural and would also eat up more space. I'll think about it a bit more this weekend, but I don't see it working. It was already considered and rejected in my mind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@GBBUDD: Damnit, you really are that little devil on my shoulder.
it's that cheesy smile that'll get you when he saws off such notions, CW!

On a separate note, completely NOT on the same shoulder, I tend to agree, but I LIKE waterfalls and anything you can do to make it more is right in my wheelhouse. I started with one, moved to 2 with the expansion, and now have 4, including my TWELVE inch wall/drop from the bog. Hint, hint...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The big dig begins today. That is, assuming the excavator I hired gets through the remaining concrete demolition quickly this morning. And then it's on to the digging.

Here's a video I posted for my friends a couple weeks ago talking through the whole project:

I estimate the size of the pond will be about 7,500 gallons with dimensions of roughly 40' x 18' x 3'. Only filter will be a bog filter / constructed wetland. No plan for fish at this time.

All subject to change at my whim as we start digging today!

I'm the type of person who likes to plan down to the last detail from the very beginning. That usually gets in the way of my productivity moreso than it eliminates problems, so I'm trying my hand at breaking ground without everything figured out ahead of time. It's an uncomfortable process, but I think it's good for me. Hopefully, I've planned enough to avoid the biggest issues, and I trust I'll figure out the smaller ones as they arise.

I also typically do my own labor on these kinds of big projects, but am challenging myself to be the manager—and not the laborer—for the biggest pieces of the project, which will include the initial dig and setting boulders when the time comes. I am a little sad I won't get to play with the excavator, though.

Wish me luck!
Good luck ya jammy beggar, all that space, I'm sure the critters will be grateful, and you'll be proud, keep the pics coming. If your going for the natural look be sure to have the sloping sides or maybe your in bedrock, I'm only a novice to a small pond,, so probably can't tell you much if anything ya don't already know, good luck again Combat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ah, I agree with FG; a heron can put away a pretty large fish. Take a look at the size of a blue heron's beak.

Greedy f____r, looks like its bulking up to help tackle that injury to its wing, I bet taking off after that will hurt

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Greedy f____r, looks like its bulking up to help tackle that injury to its wing, I bet taking off after that will hurt
naw, they have an auxiliary storage compartment that extends upon takeoff; though, this WILL hurt it's chances for more free miles added to his account!
:cool:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
naw, they have an auxiliary storage compartment that extends upon takeoff; though, this WILL hurt it's chances for more free miles added to his account!
:cool:
Ya mean they have a load of counter balance that they can drop at will to enable take off

Ask a Question