CW's Back Yard Water Garden Begins!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I could use one more explanation about landscaping over your cistern. I know yours is partially covered and I think you have a wood retaining wall holding back the dirt?
@GBBUDD nailed it - we wrapped it up and just exposed the part that needed exposing. On the side that's completely underground, we used fabric behind the small retaining wall and under the soil to keep dirt from flowing into the rain exchange.

tempImage5MNZCT.jpg

For reference, here's how far to the right of the wall the rain exchange goes:

Digging.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The cistern is wrapped just like it was a x mass present , then where i wanted the water to drop in i took that area and folded it back on 4 sides. leaving a good foot of material. it's 12 long by probably 6 feet wide the material is folded up. The water coming from the drop / overflow is overlapping the cistern material. and the rest just lays against the soil as my cistern is a foot plus below grade. and i put boulders against the rubber to keep it standing up.
if your cistern is at grade like i believe yours is a good layer of some sort of sheathing will be needed the blocks truly get the strength by being buried and the weight gets distributed. I used 3/4 azek even though i had the soil as i know myself i would have equipment again and have and wanted the extra support if i drove on it with a truck or a lull like i did just last week. Is it 100 percent water tight? probably not. but down a foot below grade where there is a pitch on the surface i doubt there will be much getting through . and yes I wrapped and sealed the joints on top LIKE IT WAS A ROOF THE UPHILL FLAPS ARE OVER THE DOWN HILL FLAPS .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh, and it's my lucky day. I have a dry well in the back yard that is mostly unused because the downspout that feeds it doesn't get much rain since our covered deck was built. The lateral line underground has enough fall for me to tie into it for my overflow. I'll also put a low spot on the back side of the cistern that is slightly higher than that so that if the dry well fills, the remainder can continue to flow out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, it's been about 3 straight days of absolute FAIL getting all my drainage/overflow in place. Hoping to come out of my funk tomorrow and have something to show for it.

About to pull the trigger on pump #1. It's an external pump. Besides figuring out how to hide it, I'm wondering if I actually need a priming/strainer pot. I'll be drawing water from 6-12" off the bottom of the cistern, and all that water will have already been pre-filtered by the gravel on top of the cistern.

Any reason I can't just use a tee fitting with a threaded cap for priming?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
About to pull the trigger on pump #1. It's an external pump. Besides figuring out how to hide it, I'm wondering if I actually need a priming/strainer pot. I'll be drawing water from 6-12" off the bottom
I clean my external pump with a leaf catcher ie strainer only when I pull it in the fall. I draw water from about a foot off the bottom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Made a little progress this week, but was tired of filming myself, so just soldiered on without video. Didn't even take any pictures. Kind of frustrated with other parts of life right now, so taking out my anger on some one-man boulders.

Bought pump #1. Just for the bog. Evolution ES8500. Variable speed, external pump. Should do about 7000 gph for about 425 watts when I've got it cranked. When I'm not around to look at it, will have it sending about 3000 gph, which is what the bog actually needs, but doesn't make for much of a waterfall.

Also worked on the waterfalls into the cistern. I'm really not great at building waterfalls. And I HATE waterfall foam. I foam the crap out of every crevice I can find and most of the water still ends up under the rocks instead of over it. Rip it apart and try again!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Made a little progress this week, but was tired of filming myself, so just soldiered on without video. Didn't even take any pictures. Kind of frustrated with other parts of life right now, so taking out my anger on some one-man boulders.

Bought pump #1. Just for the bog. Evolution ES8500. Variable speed, external pump. Should do about 7000 gph for about 425 watts when I've got it cranked. When I'm not around to look at it, will have it sending about 3000 gph, which is what the bog actually needs, but doesn't make for much of a waterfall.

Also worked on the waterfalls into the cistern. I'm really not great at building waterfalls. And I HATE waterfall foam. I foam the crap out of every crevice I can find and most of the water still ends up under the rocks instead of over it. Rip it apart and try again!
Are you going to throw 7000 gph at the bog or did you spilt the line.

That's where I was talking about caulking on top of the foam and the biggest night mare is the fabric sliding under the rocks have to apply foam to the liner . Fabric. Then more foam and then the boulders or no fabric at all..

Now why in the world would you hate waterfall foam ?????
20220502_092257.jpg

Ask a Question