CW's Back Yard Water Garden Begins!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Nice, it’s coming together for you. Like the large stump sitting in there, very cool looking.

It will be interesting to see how your in pond rock work looks underwater, it is cool to look at once the pond is established. You will see schools of little fish and large ones eventually picking at the algae on the rocks. I have a large flat one in the middle of my pond that the fish can swim under and around, it is just fun to watch them swim around right above it constantly picking at it.

Your pond is going to look great once you get it going and landscaped, as well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You have a good deal of liner left here and there .. don't cut it you'll watch a video somewhere and say that would be cool to add to the pond. You'll get board and decide to add tweeks here and there. As a temp fold it over dump some gravel on it untill you happy with the whole yard.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
You have a good deal of liner left here and there .. don't cut it you'll watch a video somewhere and say that would be cool to add to the pond. You'll get board and decide to add tweeks here and there. As a temp fold it over dump some gravel on it untill you happy with the whole yard.
This so true. I am always coming up with some other idea, that would look cool or neat. I thought about just creating a third bog that ran the length of the far edge of the new pond, but was incorporated into the pond and slightly below water level like inches, so water would be forced up through it, but would just make a current coming from that edge of the pond, ie no waterfall return. Opted for more swimming area for the fish though instead, since I put the net up I know the fish population will explode. Also, neighbors kid likes to look at the pond from their property, so decided to not do that as it would have cut off their view.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This so true. I am always coming up with some other idea, that would look cool or neat. I thought about just creating a third bog that ran the length of the far edge of the new pond, but was incorporated into the pond and slightly below water level like inches, so water would be forced up through it, but would just make a current coming from that edge of the pond, ie no waterfall return. Opted for more swimming area for the fish though instead, since I put the net up I know the fish population will explode. Also, neighbors kid likes to look at the pond from their property, so decided to not do that as it would have cut off their view.
I think I'm hearing a 1/4 acre pond on the horizon.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Looking really good! What a great recreational pond you're going to have once it's all up and running! And your little one is going to love it. Probably a good time to start water safety training for her. My grandkids did a course as infants where they were taught to roll over on their backs if they ever fell into water. Good bit of training to have at that age.

Looking forward to see the final landscaping around your pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looking really good! What a great recreational pond you're going to have once it's all up and running! And your little one is going to love it. Probably a good time to start water safety training for her. My grandkids did a course as infants where they were taught to roll over on their backs if they ever fell into water. Good bit of training to have at that age.

Looking forward to see the final landscaping around your pond!

Thanks! I’m enjoying following your build, too.

Absolutely on the water safety. COVID wrecked our plans to do extensive swim lessons really early, but we’ve been trying to teach her a bit in the bathtub. haha. Might end up teaching her right here in the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Spent a lot of time at the y at the town beach. With the cute life guard they always went from bubbles to dog paddle and bubbles to floating on the back. .
They teach infants dog paddle long before floating on the back . But some will take to one faster then another.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Currently have about 14 extra BIG boulders laying around. Trying to button up design for the rest of the property so I can set 'em where I want 'em and do the rest of the work later. These rocks are kind of too big fo the rest of the property, but one benefit you get on land that you don't in a pond is that if a rock is too big, you can just dig a hole for it and bury 50% or more of it. Looks better that way too. Always cringe when I drive by a landscape with boulders and they're just sitting on the ground. Nature almost never does that!

I love glacial erratics; I wish I had some giant boulders sitting in my yard! Unfortunately it's just clay here. The landlord asked what else I'd like help with to improve the yard and I asked for some giant boulders, but they didn't seem to understand the appeal.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Absolutely on the water safety.
My dad taught us when we were tiny! Lots of swimming in the community pool totally comfortable in the water. Swim teams etc

Which in many ways helped me many years later. When I went off the boat hitting the dock on the way down, I ended up under water. No memory of the fall. But when I "woke" back up under water, mouth shut tight, no water up the nose, so I must have blown bubbles. Water a warm 39-40. My brain said don't breath and I didn't. Usually hitting cold water you gasp inhaling water. So my dad in all his wisdom saved me.

Ask a Question