CW's Back Yard Water Garden Begins!

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The waterfall: It lives!

Now that my pond is in its final leg I have the time to check out all the other ponds on here...haha. Your pond looks amazing and water fall look awesome! How you described the entire process is exactly how I felt. One of the biggest diy projects of my life and everything was heavy! Constantly thought I was going to mess something up or turn my front yard into a major eyesore. Sure, I could have paid someone to come fix it at the tune of 20-30K. When I finally turned mine on it was almost an emotional experience, than god for sunglasses. Anyway, glad to see you are almost done! Part of the reason I got my done so fast is I needed to be able to sleep again and not constantly think about the damn pond. 19mths might have killed me. Congrats!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Now that my pond is in its final leg I have the time to check out all the other ponds on here...haha. Your pond looks amazing and water fall look awesome! How you described the entire process is exactly how I felt. One of the biggest diy projects of my life and everything was heavy! Constantly thought I was going to mess something up or turn my front yard into a major eyesore. Sure, I could have paid someone to come fix it at the tune of 20-30K. When I finally turned mine on it was almost an emotional experience, than god for sunglasses. Anyway, glad to see you are almost done! Part of the reason I got my done so fast is I needed to be able to sleep again and not constantly think about the damn pond. 19mths might have killed me. Congrats!

I look forward to enjoying the pond rather than thinking about it and working on it. But I also know myself…

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I look forward to enjoying the pond rather than thinking about it and working on it. But I also know myself…
Now on to the next phase. What plants to add? what fish? why did a fish die? Why arent the waterliles taking off? What is this leach looking thing that came in with the plants and do i want to add it to the pond?...lol. You get the idea..its why we do it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, I think I have about 800 gallons of water in motion, which is more than I was hoping for. Think I can make some simple adjustments to the weir in the wetland to improve that. Also chose to use gravel as a weir on the negative edge instead of flagstone, which I think is also contributing to that. But it looks cool!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Shut it down on a sunny day " in Seattle that will be in 2060 . Use spray foam to the weir and place the stone into the wet foam . By place I mean load it up push it in I have probably 400 gallons but I have a narrow negative edge. But I do draw from the main drains as well

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Shut it down on a sunny day " in Seattle that will be in 2060 . Use spray foam to the weir and place the stone into the wet foam . By place I mean load it up push it in I have probably 400 gallons but I have a narrow negative edge. But I do draw from the main drains as well

I did that already. I think my weir stones are just kind of fat. Should have used something thinner. It does take about 12 hours for it all to drain down though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Use a siphon to get it below the drip over stage. I always have a submersible about 3 to 5000 at the ready for what ever I have used it primarily in winter as the circulating pump

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, caught the toddler putting rocks down the fountain bubbler pipe today. So… gonna have to work on pond rules.

Wonder if those rocks could siphon back to the pump? Do I need to try to retrieve them?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
like you said im one of the few with rock and bottom drains the rocks use to get sucked in all the time particuraly after cleaning the basket strainer . PLACED AQUA BLOCK PANELS OVER THEM BOTH THEN ROCKED OVER THAT

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Our first shipwreck.

96F091F2-4008-42C1-ACE4-466679BE3C2C.jpeg

Ask a Question