Cycling -- a refresher

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Cycling a pond [or tank] comes up frequently, so this isn't any new info, but it is a nice and simple refresher [see link, below for the article which gives a nice, concise description of how the nitrogen cycle works]. I was trying to find out about surface area and beneficial bacteria. Very common sense.....

"The good bacteria can live on any surface in the aquarium [or pond]. However, like all organisms ever, they concentrate their populations where their limiting factors are best met. In an aquarium the two things that are the most limited for the bacteria are food and oxygen. Filters provide flow which provides food and oxygen. The surface area of the biomedia provides a surface for the bacteria to grow on where they can sit and allow the oxygen and food to come to them. At the end of the day it is not the biomedia itself that is anything magical, it is nothing more than surface area per volume. The bacteria are happy to grow on any surface, but they do not simply spread out evenly throughout the aquarium. Although any surface area in the tank (decor, glass, substrate, etc.) are otherwise perfectly acceptable, they do not have the same flow as the filter and therefore will not house significant colonies of bacteria."

http://advancedaquariumconcepts.com/how-to-cycle-an-aquarium/

Reaction score
How many aquaria have you seen that allow biofilm and periphyton growth on all submerged surfaces. One of the reasons that the recommended turn-over rate for aquaria is 5X total volume per hour.
Yes it's true, a lot of people tend to frequently clean off the glass and other stuff in their aquariums destroying the biofilm, however it still does it's best to grow on everything, and it's probably not much different than Aquascape ponds where they like to drain the pond and pressure wash everything down once a year. But you are right, ponds that don't get the Aquascape treatment have the potential to develop and maintain a hardy biofilm that you'll rarely find in home aquariums. Still, the principal is the same, it just get removed for aesthetic reasons.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The principle of Nitrification remains the same, but the principle of maintaining the environment does not favor maximum biofilm growth in an aquarium. The usable SSA in most aquaria is severely restricted placing nearly all of the Nitrification demands on the biofilter. Not so in a pond, especially an eco-pond. In many ponds, a biofilter is supplemental bioconversion. In an aquarium it is primary.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nice reminder Maggie

The article is great and makes it easy to understand about cycling. I myself have started many new aquariums (quarantine tanks and stock tanks) with just a "seasoned or mature" filter without issues so I know for a fact that it works.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
How many aquaria have you seen that allow biofilm and periphyton growth on all submerged surfaces. One of the reasons that the recommended turn-over rate for aquaria is 5X total volume per hour.

In planted aquaria... I have seen healthy biofilm and periphyton growth on majority of the surfaces...

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Supplemental filtration in a pond, even in aquariums, is simply in reaction to how the pond and/or aquarium owner wants to manage the system and their goals for the system.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Even the sides of the tanks?

I absolutely knew you were going to say that !! :rolleyes: ...seriously I sincerely did, no joke... :woot:

The tanks sides, or glass (if that's what ya mean), does not need to have this growth for an aquarium to run without filtration... Walstad proves this...

...I would have never included the tank's glass, nor sides, to be included in that statement, "majority of the surfaces", of mine mainly due to common sense... unless a video system was used to looked inside the tank instead of glass... ;) ... which would be odd... o_O

...just read that hyperlink I posted... I'll post it again... http://aruljohn.com/blog/walstad-tank-20gallon/

...and also look into getting Diana Walstad's book (available in kindle on Amazon as well, very cheap)... and... since you like scientific studies so much, then the Walstad book is for you... the biggest complaint about the book is that it is not dumbed down...

Good stuff in that book that can be applied to ponds as well... (y)

Ya almost "caught" me... :unsure:;) ... but not really... :eek::D

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yes the Walsted method works without supplemental biofiltration by the fact that these aquaria are heavily planted which provides the SSA for bacterial colonization.
The typical aquarium is not this heavily planted hence less than optimal SSA.
BTW, I found the mention of minimal water movement by Ms. Walsted very interesting.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
BTW, I found the mention of minimal water movement by Ms. Walsted very interesting.

...indeed... cause in her context... it's not needed! (y)

Yes the Walsted method works without supplemental biofiltration by the fact that these aquaria are heavily planted which provides the SSA for bacterial colonization.

BINGO!!

The typical aquarium is not this heavily planted hence less than optimal SSA.

...and the typical backyard pond are not fully sustainable "eco" ponds as well.... hence all the problems...

Are we now allowing the "typical" to defined an entire hobby when it suits our agenda? ;)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
:You are doing what you are best at....hijacking a thread. Is this an agenda? Waging a personal written battle with me is not in the interest of this Forum. I am confident that all the other members agree 100%. If I am wrong then they can make their opinions known
I see that it may become necessary to block you again. This is your choice.

Ask a Question