Cycling process during winter

Reaction score
I was wondering how long it usually takes for a new pond to cycle during the colder months. My pond temp has been running at about 49*-52*. I have been testing the water weekly and the ammonia,nitries and ph have been good. Today the ph was 8.0 ( seems to be creeping up) and the algea is starting to grow. My water is clear(pic below), but my fish are completely inactive. I added microbe-lift gel bacteria to the filter pads, and have been adding microbe-lift Aqua Extreme when I add water. I have a small fish load (approx 50" of fish in 3000gl) and what I believe to be enough filtration.

- I have alot of foam generating from the waterfall(pic below), I know that DissolvedOrganicComps cause this, but my thought is with a small fish load, and no ammonia, shouldnt be fish waste. No leaves or decaying plant matter in the pond. Could it be from the algea that is starting to grow?
- should I just let it go for awhile, (doesnt bother me too much since I cant see the fish anyway) or do a major water change?

- Because my ph tested 8 today should I be taking more aggressive actions. I have been leary about doing major water changes because I didnt want to add too much colder tap water?

- I have read alot about adding the bacteria on this site and Im wondering what everybody is using and how often?

-Are the bacteria that I am placing on the filter pads just dying off due to cold water?

-Is there anything else I should be doing, besides just giving it time?

Thanks everyone!! :yellowbounce:

(few pics of my pond today)

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 400
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 463

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i think.. like in anything else..what works for some may not work for others, you have a short mild winter so what happens to your ponds enviroment may not be as drastic as what happens in mine. my ponds been frozen over for over a month straight and will be for 2 months more, we can have snow into April....that said...55* minimum is what i was told is the minimum temp for adding bacteria. I do use it and have excellant results.. i use the Pl Gel Filter inocculant to start filters and Organicas Pristine Pond bacterial blend for maintainence dosing. its 100% live active aerobic bacteria. aerobic bacteria rids your ponds enviroment of organic waste. when aerobic bacteria levels fall the anaerobic bacteria can increase to a point of making the water toxic. so,adding and keeping a higher level of aerobic bacteria keeps your water clean and safe, maintain higher O2 levels, anaerobic levels in check and pond odor free...(no hydrogen sulfide which is the main cause of pond odor). While it is naturally occuring, our ponds arent a natural enviroment, its a closed self contained system..knowing its function and benefits, why not add it?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Let me clarify what I meant to say. If a test for nitrates and nitrites is zero, then no need to add anything. Without the test, you are guessing.

Ask a Question