Cypress Point Pond, Desoto, Texas

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Our pond is family built. At about 14 years old it has undergown numberous changes, repairs and a total reconstruction due to those same novice changes. :LOL: As you will see our pond has a capacity of approximately 2300 gallons. Irregular in shape it is 18 feet long, 4 feet at its narrowest point and 11 at it widest. Depth varies from 1 foot at the far end to a maximum of 2.75 in the center. The bottom also slopes as would a natural pond. Speaking of the bottom, it is covered by a 45mil Firestone EPDM liner. Water flow and filteration if provided by a matched Tetra Pond Debris Handling Pump and Tetra Pond Bio-Active Pressure Filter. The only fish inhabiting Cypress Point Pond now are Gambusia's. Years ago we enjoyed numerous Koi and like fish. Unfortunately, our hearts were broken when we had to put down all of our beloved fish due to a ravenous infection. Since then our garden pond serves as a favorite watering spot for all sorts of birds and animals. I must admit we learned more about building and maintaining our pond from human error than from books. :razz: These days I depend upon a very capable pond professional to keep our beautiful haven in shape.
Enough talk for now. The attached photos show Cypress Point as of August 17, 2012. Later on I plan to take you back in time with a selection of memorable photographs.

Please feel free to ask any questions and share your comments. Oh, one additional note. Due to our location in North Texas all stone, rocks, trees, etc. were planted by our family. After we relocated to Desoto some 20 years ago I asked "Where are the trees?" The answer was simply "The trees are where you plant them." Now, on to the photo's!

Attachments

• Welcome.jpg
    Welcome.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 362
  • August 14th before clean out.jpg
    August 14th before clean out.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 393
  • August 15th After Clean out.jpg
    August 15th After Clean out.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 421
  • Ripples in the pond.jpg
    Ripples in the pond.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 383
  • Front left corner.jpg
    Front left corner.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 390
  • Rugged shore line.jpg
    Rugged shore line.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 447
  • Back Left Side.jpg
    Back Left Side.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 428
  • Bog Pond.jpg
    Bog Pond.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 392
  • Even wild veins can look nice.jpg
    Even wild veins can look nice.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 363
  • Broad view.jpg
    Broad view.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 374
  • Twin Louisiana Bald Cypress Trees.jpg
    Twin Louisiana Bald Cypress Trees.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 363
  • Desert Willow (only a few blooms remaining).jpg
    Desert Willow (only a few blooms remaining).jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 391
  • Backyard & Deck.jpg
    Backyard & Deck.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 385
  • View of the main deck from the garden.JPG
    View of the main deck from the garden.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 396

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Neat that its so natural looking and critters can come and use it when they like. Love all the pretty big trees you planted and nice deck and pergola! What kinds of critters and birds come to your pond?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Nice pond tucked into the trees but gosh how did you deal with all the roots :razz:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Neat that its so natural looking and critters can come and use it when they like. Love all the pretty big trees you planted and nice deck and pergola! What kinds of critters and birds come to your pond?

Red birds, finches, cardinals, blue jays, mocking birds, blue birds, humming birds, hawks, sparrows, cracklers, grey doves, egrets, robins, black birds, crows, raccoons, opossums, squirrels, coyotes, skunks, cats, rabbits, honey bees, bumble bees, dragon flies, butterflies, moths, toad frogs, bull frogs, green tree frogs, turtles, snapping turtles and dreaded snakes. I hate snakes! Other creatures that we probably do not see. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Nice pond tucked into the trees but gosh how did you deal with all the roots :razz:

A most timely question. The only issue over all these years was just discovered during the August 15th clean out. Roots from our two Louisiana Bald Cypress' have entered the pond. After this shocker I contacted the Louisiana Department of Forestry and am following their recommendations. Below are copies of my correspondence with these most helpful professionals.

To the LDF:
......... our two Cypress trees have sent out above ground roots into our man made garden pond.  Both roots are growing knots.  The bottom of our 2200 gallon pond is sealed by a 45 mil thick Firestone EPDM pond liner.  Note the roots are on top of the marshy end of the pond and are growing under the water on top of the pond liner to deeper water.  During the August 15th pond clean out both under water roots were trimmed back.

Their responses:
 ...... I would like to stress again that any root pruning greatly stresses the tree.

… I would be more concerned about the roots / knees / boscoyos,  popping up through the liner from below. We have seen this on houses in Lafayette, where they had a cypress tree adjacent to the home and moisture / water under the house during winter, caused knees or pneumatophores to begin growing under the house and eventually pushing up on the floor.

On top of the liner and below the water / soil, I suspect that the roots will simply take the path of least resistance and continue to spread out laterally, not rupturing the liner and should not need any trimming. I don’t recommend any root pruning. Especially as his question directs “above ground” root pruning.  If needed I would prune only the underground problem root or roots to the minimum amount necessary to protect the liner.

So, I agree with you about no root pruning being the best option.

I will attach two photos of the roots tomorrow.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My neighbors even though far away have commented on the amount of frogs having increased over the last couple of years ,oh well .They are really load and guessing they get a little annoyed by it . :razz: Most people here like me own 3 acres so they really must be load .Only thing that worries me is the size of one of the bull frogs ,I am afraid he may eat some of the small fish .Will you have to eventually move the pond because of the roots .Guessing because it is nice and moist under there that the tree roots love that .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My neighbors even though far away have commented on the amount of frogs having increased over the last couple of years ,oh well .They are really load and guessing they get a little annoyed by it . :razz: Most people here like me own 3 acres so they really must be load .Only thing that worries me is the size of one of the bull frogs ,I am afraid he may eat some of the small fish .Will you have to eventually move the pond because of the roots .Guessing because it is nice and moist under there that the tree roots love that .

Unfortuanately, I have a long term illness so our beloved pond shall remind where it is now located. Our city residential lot is quite small, a mere 60' x 100' and sloped. Building the pond was quite a chore and still presents structural challenges. We considered reverting the pond back to lawn but the associated costs make it cheaper to keep. Every single thing you see in those photos was either built by us or purchased. North Texas is not a bountiful source of natural materials. As for the subsoil, I'm sorry to say your assumption is incorrect. Our hilltop is comprised of a white shale clay soil that does not retain water. We had load upon load of rich topsoil hauled in to create our yard and gardens. Strangely enough, rich furtile soil can be found less than 1/4 mile from our home.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Nice pond. I like the cypress tree next to the pond. I have a 6' one growing in my pond in a pot and I trim the roots every 3 years or so when they begin to grow outside the pot, sort of like they do with a bonsai. I don't want it getting any bigger so next year will get trimmed back a little to keep its shape and size.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Nice pond. I like the cypress tree next to the pond. I have a 6' one growing in my pond in a pot and I trim the roots every 3 years or so when they begin to grow outside the pot, sort of like they do with a bonsai. I don't want it getting any bigger so next year will get trimmed back a little to keep its shape and size.

Wow, that is quite an ambitious project! Bet it is beautiful. What kind of Cypress is yours? Our two are about 15 years old and according the LFT will mature in about 60 years. Isn't that amasing. I woul love to see pictures of your pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sorry to hear about your illness but guessing the pond helps you feel calm and relaxed .

Ask a Question