Cyprus King Tut

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b, 10a
Country
United States
Hi all.
How does one go about "planting" a King Tut into water? Do i simply drop it in? Put in a larger container first? Etc...
Any hints, tips, advice would be welcomed with open arms.
Thanks!
:hungover:

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Most pond plants are planted in the smallest possible pots. This keeps shipping costs down, but the plants MUST be repotted once you get them home. Any species of Cyperus (Papyrus) needs AT LEAST a 12" pot, as they are rapid growers, and also, the weight of a large pot is needed to balance out the mass of growth above the water and keep the whole thing from tipping in the slightest breeze. Your King Tut can reach between 3 and 4 feet in height. A dishpan or something similar is ideal. Remove the small pot, hold the plant in the center of the new one, and fill around the roots with a heavy clay soil. Kitty litter mixed with garden soil will also be OK. A few rocks can be added for ballast. The roots of this plant are about as tough as a construction 2x4, so I wouldn't reccommend planting it directly into the pond. If ANY plant can puncture a liner, it's this one!!
John

Reaction score
Some of mine are bare root held down with rocks and some are in soil. They don't seem to care what they are in and grow like crazy. I have to divide them up every year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b, 10a
Country
United States
Most pond plants are planted in the smallest possible pots. This keeps shipping costs down, but the plants MUST be repotted once you get them home. Any species of Cyperus (Papyrus) needs AT LEAST a 12" pot, as they are rapid growers, and also, the weight of a large pot is needed to balance out the mass of growth above the water and keep the whole thing from tipping in the slightest breeze. Your King Tut can reach between 3 and 4 feet in height. A dishpan or something similar is ideal. Remove the small pot, hold the plant in the center of the new one, and fill around the roots with a heavy clay soil. Kitty litter mixed with garden soil will also be OK. A few rocks can be added for ballast. The roots of this plant are about as tough as a construction 2x4, so I wouldn't reccommend planting it directly into the pond. If ANY plant can puncture a liner, it's this one!!
John

Thank you.
Also... Any old kitty litter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b, 10a
Country
United States
Some of mine are bare root held down with rocks and some are in soil. They don't seem to care what they are in and grow like crazy. I have to divide them up every year.

So it's possible to grow them directly in water without soil?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Thank you.
Also... Any old kitty litter?
Plain, non-scented, non-clumping kitty litter, the cheapest available. Some of the ponderers on here use it straight, but I prefer to mix it about 50/50 with any soil I have on hand. Avoid anything with peat moss, as it tends to float.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b, 10a
Country
United States
Plain, non-scented, non-clumping kitty litter, the cheapest available. Some of the ponderers on here use it straight, but I prefer to mix it about 50/50 with any soil I have on hand. Avoid anything with peat moss, as it tends to float.
John

Awesome. Thanks John!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b, 10a
Country
United States
I have most of mine in plant pots with just rocks holding them down. That said, please note I live in a tropical climate, things don't need an invitation to grow here, they just grow.

I see.
Thanks for the reply.

Ask a Question