d.i.y. infinity window in brick/blockwork using liner

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
Hi today i was shown a way of installing a koi window in blockwork pond with liner, i was amazed because i wanted one in my new build and know others on forum have an interest.
On the vertical blocks cut a 40mm x 40mm with brick cutter, now on blocks to be laid horizontal at bottom, cut the top section, again 40mm x 40mm
Now you should have a cut out [once built] on three sides, both sides and along bottom blockwork.
Make sure the glass opening is 10mm overal bigger and the top of glass 25mm higher than water level [ or as low as you dare ].
Right with this part checked and when ready to install, place 5mm spacers on sides and bottom plus not forgetting spacer onback edge[ viewing side] now im assuming glass thickness to be 25.5mm like his and mine to be.
Spacer size L.15mm x W.15mm x T.5mm, these spacers to be centred so to be able to run a 5mm aquamate mastic line either side of spacers and undeneath the total lenght of glass and flush to the inside side edge, leaving the pond side edge of glass, free to seal liner to glass.
To be able to seal lamimated glass, mark glass with white pen at 40mm from edge on inside [pool side], now place on line masking tape on the inner side of line [ so you can peel it off once fitted] with me so far.....now from the glass edge to 40mm rough up surface to optain a good adhesion remember ONLY THREE SIDES as so easy to get carried away and forget, now seal liner to glass again with aquamate mastic and lightly press flat to seal making sure at this point to check glass for being upright and the liner not over tight around window or water pressure will draw window out as it tightens liner to base or bottom of pond, with this done, firmly clamp, best as possible and leave to harden [ set ] for at least 48 hours.
IF YOU WANT LOWER WINDOW THEN ALL EDGES TO BE CUT OUT AND GLASS ROUGHENED ALL ROUND WITH LINTAL ACROSS.......NOT FOR GETTING STEEL WORK TO RE-INFORCE WINDOW WALL ONLY ON WHICH EVER WINDOW CHOISE YOU MAKE.
The point to remember is theres less pressure on "infinity windows" and more the lower you make it, you could say sealant seals, water pressure holds it in place, hence the need for steel work in side hollow dence concrete blocks.
any questions ...pm me...whiskey[terry]

Attachments

• DSC00829.JPG
    DSC00829.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 391
  • DSC00830.JPG
    DSC00830.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 424

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
Once i get started on window i will take photos of each stage, so anyone with a mind to do likewise , can easily follow.

Ask a Question