d.i.y. viewing windows

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
hi is there any help reguarding fitting "viewing windows" to a liner pond or is it only possible on fiberglass constructions

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A liner would flex so not sure it would not leak no matter what you do to seal it .I think most of those are for stiffer applications .Not sure I would want to take that chance as that would be a big hole to try and patch .Since this is going to be a practically new build and all your work would be worth the chances

whiskey

Reaction score
yea ...but if the concrete blocks were rebated 4" on three sides, to allow 1" glass to be fitted, would a stainless steel frame on the inside wall, with sealant. SEAL?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think it would seal, I used the roofing sealant, (that black stuff) to install the skimmer for my pond, I do have a gasket between the skimmer and the liner, did put a lot of roofing goop between the liner and the gasket. So far no leak. I let the stuff dry for a few days before I raised the water level. It has now survived thawing and freezing cycles since installed.

I did see a thread somewhere of someone that did install a viewing window. Sounds like you have good support for it.

You might want to have your stainless frame have some screw holes to go through to the other side to pull it tight against something firm, concrete anchors, piece of stainless etc. My skimmer is pulled tight plastic to plastic with the liner in between the two pieces of plastic, with good gooping...........lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Do you think maybe if you google it or go on you tube you may find someone who did it also and what success they have had .

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've seen it done so I know there is at least one way to sucsessfully do it. Like Sissy suggested might try Youtube or Goggle and see what you can find. I'll see if I can find the one I'm thinking about. I'm almost sure he used cinder block walls and some type of liner.

whiskey

Reaction score
hi larkin thanks for trying for me but both pools fibre glassed.
I was thinking along the lines of angle iron...recessed into blockwork and cutout re cemented to cover.......__|-- two pieces welded back to back, one offset, [two " L " ] the main L for fixing to wall, the second for attaching glass to.
If i could get the offset 2 or 3mm smaller fit a rubber boarder, together with outer frame of stainless steel, to tighten to wall with stainless screws, along with mastic.
Not forgetting rubber gasket before fitting glass unit.

Attachments

• DSC00821.JPG
    DSC00821.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 720

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
keep us posted on this and please if you do it take plenty of pics and tell us what steps as they take place. I have thought about that many times but figured it would be expensive or leak. If it works I might try something of that nature oneday!

whiskey

Reaction score
Hi larkin will keep you all informed with photos of progresive steps, seems simple really, once frame in , liner goes over frame [ like bottom drain], carefully cut out , seal both sides, press outer frame and screw together.
TIME WILL TELL......

whiskey

Reaction score
Hi all got quote from mr.koi a 800mm x 400mm would be £370 with glass and all fitments.
Sure there must be a cheap way as most of the time your paying for thier know how.
Seen viewing windows on you tube, where glass is stuck to liner, in shallow recess and metal frame is fived to wall.

Ask a Question