morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Anyone else use this stuff? I love it for the Spring cleanout.

Sprinkle it all over the surface of the pond, it sinks to the bottom and in a couple of minutes every leaf and bit of crap that was on the bottom miraculously floats to the surface, where I just suck it up with my trusty PondoVac 4.

Neat stuff, anyone else used it?

http://www.canadianpondsonline.com/CrystalClear/D-Solv-p-214.html

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
CE used something that clumps up but think it stays on the bottom. Never heard of this D-solv stuff. I would want to know how it is on plants and fish so please let us know how it goes for you in the longer term use.
I just went online and read about the stuff. Seems as tho everyone and their mother are selling it. I would be leery that it will also get rid of the good beneficial bacteria in your pond. It says it is really powerful. Then they go on to say it eliminates the need to do a full drain and clean out scrub down of your pond each year.................well we aren't supposed to do that in the first place as that is bad to start all over w/ new water and rid the good stuff that grows on your liner. Not sure this stuff is good but then who knows. Maybe in the small doses it is ok. Keep us posted.

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I've used it every Spring for a couple of years now, and have never had a problem. It basically binds to the debris and the oxygen component lifts the attached debris to the surface where it can be scooped, netted or vacuumed.

Never lost a fish to it. Safe product for me, I'll continue using it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well there ya go then. Sure would be nice to be able to just scoop the gunk off the top instead of the bottom and if it doesn't hurt the fish or plants then maybe it is just fine to use

Oh and does it say anything about what the ingredients in it are?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The only thing I can find on the web is it contains 9% of something...........but a lot says it works

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The active ingredient is O2. Get yourself the small jar of it, toss some in and see what it does. I love the stuff....saves a lot of time swirling around with the net trying to get the leaves to rise off the bottom so you can scoop/vacuum them up.

Like I said, I use it all the time and haven't lost a fish, plant or lily yet.

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
It comes in liquid or powder form. I've only used the powder form because I like to scoop it out of the bucket and then fling it across the pond surface so I can distribute it evenly.

This is not advisable in a windstorm, much like the rule applying to the direction of one's urinary stream.

Don't say I didn't warn you.......

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Was reading the precautions and wondering since you throw yours across the pond and it is dry wonder if the fish thought it was food and nibbled some inside their mouths wonder if it could hurt them if they taste or swallow it? My fish seem to look like they sample everything in the pond that is in there. They spit out what they don't like but wondering if it could do any damage to them while in there for that short period?
Hey just found this when searching on the net:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/ponds/msg0312013516208.html

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
MSDS's are overkill, jw. You should see the MSDS for sodium chloride (NaCl.....salt) and the precautions for that. The spill information is ridiculous......me, I just throw some over my shoulder.

Don't make me feel guilty for peeing in the lake when I'm fishing in the boat.

I think the effect of the D-Solv on the fish is the same as when I ask them if they're resentful that they don't have a bottom drain.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok well we know your fish are still kicking and it's been working for you for a long time and you just throw it in dry. Guess if one was unsure they could dilute it in water first.

Wish I could pee in the lake while fishing................I have to jump in and get all wet to do so

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
14' x 9' x 3.5', around 3200 gallons. About 60 fish, all told. Some big (8-10"), some babies (1-3").

Six or eight water lilies, marginals, rushes, blah, blah, blah.........

Should have made it deeper so that if I catch an 8lb walleye this summer, I can feed the sucker and weigh it in at the next Fall tournament somewhere around 11lbs...........hindsight is a bitch.

Last edited:

Ask a Question