Damn heron.

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Came home from vacation to find all of the fish hiding in the big pond. Person checking on them confirmed she saw a heron on Tuesday but fish were present on Thursday. Pond is heavily planted with lilies. Top pond appears to have been wiped out. Is it possible some survived and are hiding?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Came home from vacation to find all of the fish hiding in the big pond. Person checking on them confirmed she saw a heron on Tuesday but fish were present on Thursday. Pond is heavily planted with lilies. Top pond appears to have been wiped out. Is it possible some survived and are hiding?

Time to empty it and look but it's possible. I posted one time about how fish hid when I drained the pond and survived the draining.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
They will show sooner or later if there are any left. I wouldn't drain the pond. Mine only survive the heron now cuz I use a high net otherwise they would be all gone. Hated to do it but tried everything else.

IMG_5340.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I wouldn't drain the pond, if they are there they will come out, if not you have good water for replacements.

I have lost fish over the years, heron, who knows, if they all disappeared I would not drain the pond to find out if any where left. I would wait, if none showed I would then get replacements.

I finally had to put up a wide weave net over my pond, fought the heron for 2 years or so, almost a everyday visit. Even in January, the heron stopped by, the pond surrounded by snow, covered in ice except the open hole.

I use a wide weave so nothing else gets trapped, small birds, frogs, etc.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I agree to not draining the pond! If they're there, they'll show up. They're likely already stressed -- draining the pond would only add to that stress.

Hope the GBH wasn't successful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We've been fortunate our dogs, have kept the herons away. We lost a couple trees this Spring and put up shade sails for shade....thinking they help some with herons too, as they don't see the ponds?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a

I'm so sorry. How deep is the top pond? And its absolutely possible some survived. Here's hoping.

Depth is so important. We have 2 ponds. One is only 2.5 feet deep. That one I have to keep covered 24/7. I've lost quite a few before covering.

My other one is 3.5 feet deep with a 8 inch drop off before the water even starts. That sucker I never cover. I've even watched a few heron try on camera but they give up after a while.

20160820_180333_zpsuwimocti.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond is deep at the deep end, 5 feet. the Heron would hang out there waiting go the fish to swim by. they are very patient.

We've been fortunate our dogs, have kept the herons away. We lost a couple trees this Spring and put up shade sails for shade....thinking they help some with herons too, as they don't see the ponds?
Herons find ponds as they fly over. they watch for the reflection of water.

I have watched them fly over, pause in the air, circle back, then land and stalk the pond.

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Our top pond is probably 2.5 feet deep with a pretty good drop off between the edge and the water. Its also heavily planted with lilies so they have plenty of places to hide. I hope at least one survived but right now it looks deserted.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My 5lb yorkie would go after them. But she is never out alone.
She is a true hunter.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Never had Heron problems but used get pigeons bathing in the pond, they foul the water badly, leaving a film on the water. Tried all the 'scarecrow' methods, fake owls, fake snakes, nothing worked. For whatever reason haven't see a pigeon here in many years. Netting and fencing can be unattractive but sometimes is the only way to pond without constant loss. Parents had to surround their pond with electric fencing to stop repeated raccoon attacks.
Good luck with your agitator.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
They will show sooner or later if there are any left. I wouldn't drain the pond. Mine only survive the heron now cuz I use a high net otherwise they would be all gone. Hated to do it but tried everything else.

View attachment 94569
Please do not show snow pics here yet JW. We just had a 20* temp drop and even looking at snow is too much to handle!

Ask a Question