Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
We had a big storm come threw and it took out the power.
Went out at 4:00 pm it is now 11:30 pm they where saying by 9:00 pm it would be back on, but that came and went. Now they are saying some time tomorrow Saturday (say what!!) you people bet get your butts on it.
It is raining steadly and the ponds and koi seem to be ok but that won't last all night I don't think, done 2 water changes in the fish tanks but still can't do that all night.
I know should have a generater and right now I am kicking my self.
First thing in the morning I will go rent one and see about finding one I can afford and what will work.
Anyone know how to calculate how much power I would need and what are the good brands.

My rant for the day
Thanks
Ruben

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Hello
Anyone know how to calculate how much power I would need and what are the good brands.

My rant for the day
Thanks
Ruben

Add up the total amount of electricity your pond uses in watts and add 30%. Get a generator that exceeds that amount.
As far as which brand is best to rent, I would just get the one that's available.
It doesn't sound like you'll be using it for long.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hope you are able to get one....power outage around here and the generators go out the doors of the stores faster than a person in a fire.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Thank fully power came,on about 3:00 this morning.
So I won't need to rent one.
But I do want to by one, don,t want to go threw that again.
So recommendation on brand would be great.

Thanks
Ruben

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Glad to hear you got your power back, Ruben. I have a Coleman that's 25 y/o and still runs well. I don't know if Coleman makes generators anymore; for some reason I think I read that they don't. Generac has a good reputation and is reasonably priced. When I need to buy a new one, I am thinking of getting a whole house Generac that runs on propane.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Coleman is now made under the name "Powermate", but Who knows if they are still as good as this Coleman I have that is 25 y/o.

I just checked Consumer Reports, and they rate their 10 top portable generators as follows:

Overall score79
Add to Compare
Honda EU7000is
Recommended
Best Buy
icon-dont-buy-x.svg

Price: $4000.00

Type:Portable generators
Includes low-oil shutoff, which protects the engine from overheating if the oil level dips too low. Also displays a low oil light to tell you why it shut down. Includes electric start. Wheels are standard. Has a 5.07 -gallon tank. Has a fuel gauge. Has 4 power outlets. Has power meter for monitoring electrical wattage use.
See Ratings

Overall score73
Add to Compare
Kohler PRO7.5E
Recommended
Best Buy
icon-dont-buy-x.svg

Price: $1400.00

Has fuel shutoff, which lets you draw gas from the fuel system to keep it from fouling parts if it degrades during storage. It also prevents leaks. Includes low-oil shutoff, which protects the engine from overheating if the oil level dips too low. Also displays a low oil light to tell you why it shut down. Includes electric start. Wheels are Standard. Has a 8 -gallon tank. Has a fuel gauge. Has 6 power outlets.
See Ratings

Overall score72
Add to Compare
Generac RS7000E
Recommended
Best Buy
icon-dont-buy-x.svg

Price: $900.00

Has fuel shutoff, which lets you draw gas from the fuel system to keep it from fouling parts if it degrades during storage. It also prevents leaks. Includes low-oil shutoff, which protects the engine from overheating if the oil level dips too low. Includes electric start. Wheels are standard. Has a 7.5 -gallon tank. Comes with oil. Has a fuel gauge. Has 5 power outlets.
See Ratings

Overall score72
Add to Compare
Troy-Bilt XP7000 30477A
Recommended
Best Buy
icon-dont-buy-x.svg

This 7,000-watt, gasoline-powered portable generator from Troy-Bilt was tops among portables. Helpful features include electric start, fuel shutoff (which prevents leaks and keeps fuel from getting trapped in the fuel system and spoiling during storage), low-oil shutdown, a power meter (needed only with a low-end transfer switch that lacks one), a 9-gallon tank for an average 15 hours of run time, and a fuel gauge. And unlike some, it comes with the battery for the electric-start feature. It also includes the starter bottle of engine oil you'll find with many portable models. One caveat: It's noisy.
See Ratings

Overall score70
Add to Compare
Honda EM6500SXK2
Recommended
Best Buy
icon-dont-buy-x.svg

Price: $2800.00

Providing ample power, cleanly and consistently, are top strengths of this 5,500-watt, gasoline-powered Honda portable--though you might balk at its price. You get a number of helpful features for the price, including electric start, low-oil shutoff (protects the engine from overheating if the oil level dips too low), and fuel shutoff, which prevents leaks and keeps fuel from getting trapped in the fuel system and spoiling during storage. There's also a fuel gauge and a starter bottle of engine oil. But this model has no hour meter, which tells you how long since the last oil change.
See Ratings

Overall score70
Add to Compare
BlackMax BM90700B
Recommended
Best Buy
icon-dont-buy-x.svg

Price: $1000.00

Has fuel shutoff, which lets you draw gas from the fuel system to keep it from fouling parts if it degrades during storage. It also prevents leaks. Includes low-oil shutoff, which protects the engine from overheating if the oil level dips too low. Includes electric start. Wheels are Standard. Has a 6 -gallon tank. Comes with oil. Has 9 power outlets.
See Ratings

Overall score69
Add to Compare
Briggs & Stratton 30470
Recommended
Best Buy
icon-dont-buy-x.svg

Top-notch power delivery with almost no voltage fluctuation was a chief strength of this 7,000-watt, gasoline-powered portable from Briggs & Stratton. At an average of 10 hours at a stretch, its run time fell short of our top-Rated Troy-Bilt, and it's noisy. Still, there’s plenty to like for the price. Among helpful features are electric start, a fuel-shutoff switch (which clears gas from the carburetor), low-oil shutdown, and a fuel gauge. Unlike some models we tested, the electric-start feature’s battery is included. So are wheels, which not all portable models included in the standard package.
See Ratings

Overall score69
Add to Compare
Briggs & Stratton 30549
Recommended
Best Buy
icon-dont-buy-x.svg

Price: $1100.00

Has fuel shutoff, which lets you draw gas from the fuel system to keep it from fouling parts if it degrades during storage. It also prevents leaks. Includes low-oil shutoff, which protects the engine from overheating if the oil level dips too low. Includes electric start. Wheels are standard. Has a 7 -gallon tank. Comes with oil. Has a fuel gauge. Has 5 power outlets.
See Ratings

Overall score69
Add to Compare
Westinghouse WH7500E
Recommended
Best Buy
icon-dont-buy-x.svg

Has fuel shutoff, which lets you draw gas from the fuel system to keep it from fouling parts if it degrades during storage. It also prevents leaks. Includes low-oil shutoff, which protects the engine from overheating if the oil level dips too low. Includes electric start. Wheels are standard. Has a 6.6 -gallon tank. Has a fuel gauge. Has 5 power outlets.
See Ratings

Overall score69
Add to Compare
DeWalt DXGNR7000
Recommended
Best Buy
icon-dont-buy-x.svg

Has fuel shutoff, which lets you draw gas from the fuel system to keep it from fouling parts if it degrades during storage. It also prevents leaks. Includes low-oil shutoff, which protects the engine from overheating if the oil level dips too low. Includes electric start. Wheels are Standard. Has a 7.5 -gallon tank with a run time gage(hrs) based on the load. Comes with oil. Has 5 power outlets. Has power meter for monitoring electrical wattage use.
See Ratings

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Here are the rest of them from 11 on....

Overall score68
Add to Compare
Predator 68530
Recommended
Best Buy
icon-dont-buy-x.svg

Price: $600.00

This 7,000-watt, gasoline-powered portable from Harbor Freight’s Predator line supplied plenty of power, and smoothly, though its maker cut a few corners to hit the bargain price. Average run time, at 11 hours, was good but not at the level of our top-Rated Troy-Bilt. Pluses include electric start, a fuel-shutoff switch (which clears gas from the carburetor), low-oil shutdown (with a warning indicator), and a fuel gauge. But the electric-start feature’s battery costs extra (the manual doesn't specify what size to use), and this model was especially hard to lift since its handle is on the heavier end. It's also noisy.
See Ratings
Overall score67
Add to Compare
Generac GP5500 5939
Recommended
Best Buy
icon-dont-buy-x.svg

Price: $700.00

This gasoline-powered portable from Generac is rated at 5,500 watts and performed almost as well as top-scoring models for hundreds less. Features include fuel shutoff (which prevents leaks and keeps fuel from getting trapped in the fuel system and spoiling during storage), low-oil shutdown, and a fuel gauge. It also comes with the wheels and the starter bottle of engine oil you'll find with many portable models. One feature you give up is electric starting (you'll need to pull a cord, as you would with many lawn mowers), and this model is noisy. But the Generac is still a great value.
See Ratings
Overall score66
Add to Compare
NorthStar 165603
Recommended
Best Buy
icon-dont-buy-x.svg

Price: $1500.00

Northstar's 6,600-watt portable generator had some uneven voltage and lacks a few features, but it provided plenty of power, even for appliances that require more power when cycling on. Average run time, at 10 hours, was good but not at the level of our top-Rated Troy-Bilt. Features include fuel shutoff (which prevents leaks and keeps fuel from getting trapped in the fuel system and spoiling during storage) and low-oil shutdown. It also has 10 outlets, though we recommend you use a transfer switch rather than extension cords. Caveats: Wheels are $100 extra, and you get neither electric start nor a fuel gauge.
See Ratings
Overall score66
Add to Compare
Champion 41537
Recommended
Best Buy
icon-dont-buy-x.svg

Plenty of power, delivered smoothly, are chief attractions of this 7,500-watt portable generator from Champion. Pluses include fuel shutoff (which prevents leaks and keeps fuel from getting trapped in the fuel system and spoiling during storage), low-oil shutdown, and a fuel gauge. It also comes with the wheels and the starter bottle of engine oil you'll find with many portable models. Where it fell short was in run time per tankful of gas, at 9 hours. And it's noisy.
See Ratings
Overall score65
Add to Compare
Yamaha EF7200DE
Recommended
Best Buy
icon-dont-buy-x.svg

Price: $1350.00

Provided somewhat uneven power but had adequate voltage. Has fuel shutoff, which lets you draw gas from the fuel system to keep it from fouling parts if it degrades during storage. It also prevents leaks. Includes low-oil shutoff, which protects the engine from overheating if the oil level dips too low. Also displays a low oil light to tell you why it shut down. Includes electric start. Wheels are standard. Has a 6.87 -gallon tank. Has a fuel gauge. Has 6 power outlets.
See Ratings
Overall score65
Add to Compare
Ryobi RY905500
Recommended
Best Buy
icon-dont-buy-x.svg

Price: $600.00

Has fuel shutoff, which lets you draw gas from the fuel system to keep it from fouling parts if it degrades during storage. It also prevents leaks. Includes low-oil shutoff, which protects the engine from overheating if the oil level dips too low. Wheels are Standard. Has a 6 -gallon tank. Comes with oil. Has 5 power outlets.
See Ratings
Overall score65
Add to Compare
Powermate PM0146500
Recommended
Best Buy
icon-dont-buy-x.svg

Price: $850.00

Has fuel shutoff, which lets you draw gas from the fuel system to keep it from fouling parts if it degrades during storage. It also prevents leaks. Includes low-oil shutoff, which protects the engine from overheating if the oil level dips too low. Includes electric start. Wheels are standard. Has a 7 -gallon tank. Comes with oil. Has a fuel gauge. Has 5 power outlets.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
do you want portable or fixed one .I have a generac at the other house that runs on propane .4 thousand dollars ( with taxes also )installed and propane tank .Called the propane company here and it was cheaper from them than lowes and home depot .Got 10 year warranty and free service calls if any problems come up .ash always gets you more .It has to run an electric fence for horses and a shop besides the house and pond .Lowes wanted 6 thousand without taxes added on .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
There is no natural gas in rural areas only propane but they are promising to run lines for years but nothing so far .They only got natural gas in the city 25 years ago .I live and hour from the city .The other house is even farther out in farm country in Pittsville va

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Same here; we're on propane if we want gas. We use it for cooking and for a Jotal gas stove in our living room.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Well I don't want to spend $1000.00 , I am thinking more in the $500.00
Range. Habor freight has a predeter 4000 on sale for $300.00 reg $600.00. It has great reviews. I think it can run on propane.
I have to check but i Beleave propane runs cleaner then gas.

Ruben

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It does my son has one but not sure where he bought it and he just uses propane tanks from his grill since he has 4 of them .I am not sure how long they last but I can ask him

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ruben, I I was also considering the predator generator as well. I'm not sure if you have made a decision yet, but I was reading these articles that compares the honda that moonshadows recommends #1, and the predator that you're mentioning. The honda is very expensive, but very good. And the predator is similar in design, but much lower price. But the problem is that the 120V outlet is just centertapped off the 240V outlet. This means that a 4000W generator will only produce 2000W for 120V appliances, which is most of them. So you will want to get twice the capacity as you expect that you need.

As for the propane, it does run cleaner but approx 20% less effecient. A 20L propane tank holds 4.5 gallons of liquid propane. So this should be equivalent to 3.6 gallons of gasoline. Also, the generator will not run off propane as is. You have to buy a conversion kit which is about $100 I believe.

i'm not sure if i'm going to go with the predator or not. But I hope all of this information is helpful to you.

Ask a Question