Dang power is out

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We bought the Predator generator 3 years ago. Works great. Walked into the shed last fall to the heavy smell of gasoline. The carburetor was leaking! You cannot leave any gas in the generator during storage. Had to get a new carburetor from China as the company does not make replacement parts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
If you have a gasoline generator (or anything else that are stored for periods) always use sta-bil fuel stabilizer, even if you drain the fuel like your supposed to, because you can't get all of the fuel drained. It just saves a lot of headaches, I put it in the fuel can before I fill them, so my equipment is always protected.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
If you have a gasoline generator (or anything else that are stored for periods) always use sta-bil fuel stabilizer, even if you drain the fuel like your supposed to, because you can't get all of the fuel drained. It just saves a lot of headaches, I put it in the fuel can before I fill them, so my equipment is always protected.

I do the same...put it in the can before I go to the gas station.

Well, we made the move. We had our electrician out here on Saturday. We are going to have him install a Generac Standby Generator - Model 7033. It is 11K and should give us all the electricity we need in the event of a power outage. Equipment and installation will run us $5600. A lot of money for us, but at 61 years old, we don't have to worry about our 20+ year portable Coleman Generator not working properly, won't have to haul 40lb cans of gas from the gas station, and won't have to go out to the shed at all hours in all types of weather to get it running to feed the house.

feb41914-4a1c-4b15-9831-f3e6e43c96b3.jpg.w960.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I do the same...put it in the can before I go to the gas station.

Well, we made the move. We had our electrician out here on Saturday. We are going to have him install a Generac Standby Generator - Model 7033. It is 11K and should give us all the electricity we need in the event of a power outage. Equipment and installation will run us $5600. A lot of money for us, but at 61 years old, we don't have to worry about our 20+ year portable Coleman Generator not working properly, won't have to haul 40lb cans of gas from the gas station, and won't have to go out to the shed at all hours in all types of weather to get it running to feed the house.

View attachment 97848

Nice!
We've had one for 10 years and not a single problem.
I've only had to replace the starter battery once.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well, the standby generator is on hold! We had to get $500 worth of repairs on one of the cars, and out of the blue we got a $1200 bill from St Lukes for an emergency room visit last October. Outrageous! 1 1/2 hours in the ER and the bill was $4922 for "Emergency Room Services", and we had already paid for the Drs and tests!...and this insurance policy runs over $800 a month. No wonder why health care is falling apart in this country. Well, anyway, those two things took a good chunk of the money set aside for the generator, so we'll have to wait...again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
half the people on my block bought a whole house after Sandy. Since then we've only had intermittent outages since the trees aren't around anymore to knock down the lines and our area recently had a major grid upgrade. I still have my trusty Husky generator which I start twice a year religiously. This year I noticed it was idling funny and think it will need a need carb soon. I should order a replacement just incase of murphy's law.

Ask a Question