Dark cloudy water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I’ve recently had a wooden framed pond made on my patio in which I have some koi which were given to me we have made a pergola over the top which we have layered hazel wands on could this be the cause of the water going dark and cloudy after rain? All the levels are reading as they should Ph nitrates etc.
Any advice please?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1619809536769.gif
@Tyke
Don't know for sure but I suppose it could be the pergola. Can water leak into your pond by the edge of the pond?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Can you post a picture of the pond and pergola? How long has the pond been running? It could be tannins from the wood.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 138473@Tyke
Don't know for sure but I suppose it could be the pergola. Can water leak into your pond by the edge of the pond?
Yes it can pass through the hazel branches as there are small gaps between them, the pergola is made from wood that is supposed to be safe for animals and fish.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Maybe after awhile it will stop leaching color is all one can hope for if that truly is the cause.
Here is an article online that will tell you all about tannin's in water. https://pondinformer.com/remove-tannins-pond-water/Keep in mind when they talk about the Poly Wool stuff it is just that white upholstery batting that you find for furniture or pillows, etc. so you can use that if you have some. You can also use the fluffy kind. You just put the stuff in a plastic container w/holes in the bottom and set it on the top side edge of your pond w/a hose from your pump stuck over the top of the pot w/batting in it so it collects all the color or debris and the water then runs out the bottom back into your pond. You will have to rinse it off on the grass when it gets too dirty and overflows. This could take several days or more.
Here is a photo of the flat kind:
1619818224753.png

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This time of year all our ponds are still waking up. the plants are coming back to life and the waters are in a battle form im going to have algae all over to i have peach fuzz and some strands maybe a little green cloudy water maybe pea green . patience !!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Two things - yes, water can be discolored from wood. I've had it happen when the pond flooded after we had just laid new mulch around the pond.

But it does concern me that your water is "cloudy". Water that is stained from tannins should still be clear.

How big is your pond? How many fish are in it? You said this is on your patio - unless you have a giant patio, I don't imagine it being the appropriate size for koi...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It’s been running with the pergola and wicker roof for about a week, this is the first time it’s rained on it, but ponds been running since last October.

Attachments

• 9B709776-17A8-4E01-A87B-02AAFA4F2A57.jpeg
    9B709776-17A8-4E01-A87B-02AAFA4F2A57.jpeg
    299.1 KB · Views: 49

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So definitely no runoff from your patio as it is a raised pond. I would say it must be the top of the pergola.
Nice looking pond build! You could easily take a long plastic rectangle pot w/holes in bottom and set it on the side of your pond edge and do like I said w/a hose running over the quilt batting. Or maybe it will just go away on it's own?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for your replies I’ll give it a couple of days and see how it goes

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'd have to vote on new pond syndrome. The darkening is probably pretty green algea bloom.
What are you running for filters?

Ask a Question