Dark water

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I’m new here and I wanted to try to find a solution for the dark water in my pond. The pond was dug last summer and it is spring fed from the bottom and the pond is a ledge rock bottom. There is a above grown spring that also runs into the pond. Basically in my back yard, there was a spring that ran out of the ground, but it just ran across my yard and water just laid stagnant and the yard was all mucky. So I dug it out and tried to do my best to make it better. I bought a 8000 litre per hour waterfall pump and I want to try and clear this water up. What should I do ? I’ll take any advice, thank you

Attachments

• E10210FF-C751-4D3A-BA37-AB0862A615CD.jpeg
    E10210FF-C751-4D3A-BA37-AB0862A615CD.jpeg
    329.5 KB · Views: 25
  • CE18FFF2-5AEE-4B2B-80EA-8E8588800158.jpeg
    CE18FFF2-5AEE-4B2B-80EA-8E8588800158.jpeg
    378 KB · Views: 27

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1663111616193.gif
@Tyst67
Hmmmmmmm, well maybe add lots of good sucking the muck up plants. Not sure about a huge filter as I'm not familiar w/how to clear up a non-liner pond. Hope someone else will come to your rescue. Sure will be a nice pond if you can get it cleared up somewhat! Wondering if the flowing water that enters it is flowing just fast enough to keep the muck all riled up?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
View attachment 154083@Tyst67
Hmmmmmmm, well maybe add lots of good sucking the muck up plants. Not sure about a huge filter as I'm not familiar w/how to clear up a non-liner pond. Hope someone else will come to your rescue. Sure will be a nice pond if you can get it cleared up somewhat! Wondering if the flowing water that enters it is flowing just fast enough to keep the muck all riled up?
It runs on ground for about 35 feet and it looks clear. There is a inflow and out flow but it’s still dirty. I blamed algae partials in the water but I I made a biofilter and ran the water through it but it’s still dirty. I’d like to do a bog filter with stream but I never done one before

Reaction score
Country
United States
Put the water in a clear cup or bottle and see what color it is. Then let it sit a bit and see if anything settles out.

We thought our pond water was dirty. But it is almost clear in a cup. It is the walls of our pond that are a dark color and it makes the water look darker than it is.

Is your bio filter big enough for the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It's hard to tell exactly what's causing your dark water. Just getting a cup off it off the top to check the clarity might not be as telling if the water column is stratified. How much circulation does the pond continually get?

If the water is clear, but tinted brown, that could just be chemicals like tannins leached in from the surrounding environment (lookup black water aquarium for an example).

Ask a Question