Darksaber Pond - My Next Adventure

20' by 30' pond w/ 30' stream and 10' by 20' wetland
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
Build Day 1 - After 7 months of planning and years of wanting a pond, we begin...

- We begin! They were running a little late and the timelapse is set to start at 8:00 am so there isn't much there for the first 30 seconds or so but then we start!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yikes that's about the worst soil you could get for building a pond. Great for tall sides to hold on there own but horrid for protecting the liner I hope They use sand on the bottom and extra thick fabric on the sides. This is where i would have customers watching bob villa come out to me in construction saying but that's not how the tv says to do it. I hate him with a passion. Like i always say there's six way to build every project. One person prefers plan a while the next likes plan c the most. will be interesting to watch this build

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
Yep, that shale vein we have running through our neighborhood is terrible. They'll shave the sides down then it'll be protected with sand backfill before the geo-liner.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If the shale is all broken up and you see cavities you may want to consider concrete blanket along the top 3 feet it stops rodents chipmunks and moles that love those pockets between the shale and keeps them away from the liner. i see your spending a good buck as the pond is good size. the cost won't be cheap but it can save a lot of aggravation down the road . Love the time lapse it will make for an interesting build. Who is the builder?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
The shale is only broken where it was disturbed. Thanks for the suggestion! Generally, we've never seen chipmunks or moles in the neighborhood but I'll talk to the builders tomorrow about that.

Builder is Pond Country

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh that was fun! Just watching those clouds roll by was reason enough to watch those first 30 seconds!

I've never seen anyone dig without marking - is he just freestyling? What did they lay out on the grass at the beginning?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
Watching the clouds go is actually pretty cool. If you catch it toward the end you can see the sun setting and the sky glow orange for a couple of seconds...

They used orange spray paint, I have trouble seeing it (partially color blind) and I think it's too far for the camera to pick up well. There will be a stream up the left-hand side and a wetland filter in the back in front of the playset, but they've now covered most of the stream up with dirt.

In the beginning, you see smaller versions of a stacked slate spillway. To get the depth we wanted (4ft) we are going to use those under the weathered limestone to create the deep area. That way we were able to go more vertical and leave more open space for the deep area, i.e. fewer tiers. We laid those out so he could paint the area to be dugout.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ah! Gotcha! I was impressed with the confidence he had to just start DIGGING! (Still impressed by the way... just reassured that I am not the only one who didn't see the spray paint!)

I love the stacked slate for pond walls - one of Aquascapes better design ideas! Like you said - you can get lots of vertical space without encroaching on the pond interior.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Raising my hand and jumping up and down I saw it !!!!! I saw it !!!!! Going to be a impressive build and im betting with a heck of a price tag

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
Tell the guys to stop and do the chicken every now and then it will be a riot in time lapse. flap the arms slowly

That'd be a great idea, it'd have to be the slowest ever chicken dance as the camera is at 10 second intervals...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Don't forget the tail wag lol..
Ok need to put in for the clouds too. its just not the same without the sunset and clouds flying by . But it was a very cool start

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
Don't forget the tail wag lol..
Ok need to put in for the clouds too. its just not the same without the sunset and clouds flying by . But it was a very cool start

Thanks for calling that out, I didn't realize that the camera angle changed, I'll try to fix that for tomorrow's recording.

Ask a Question