Darksaber Pond - My Next Adventure

20' by 30' pond w/ 30' stream and 10' by 20' wetland
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
The only advice I can give at this point is beware of invasive species. They can really become a nuisance so patience is key . If you need some quick growing plants but are easily removed try water cress. And maybe even mint . Both grow very fast but seem to be easily removed.

What do you think of as invasive? Anything special I should worry about?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What do you think of as invasive? Anything special I should worry about?
houtunia
cattails,
pennywort

those are 3 I've dealt with. There's others and a lot depends on your zone. Water hyacinth are considered invasive, but not where I live. Parrot's feather is, though I've never got it to survive my winters despite what the DNA says. Some are invasive but easy to control/pull out; creeping jenny, water cress, forget-me-nots are a few.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Penny wart as mentioned is a real pain grows very fast and everywhere. .

Any of the clovers

Like was said you need to check for your zone. Some invasive in one area won't survive a winter and die off problem solved . Parrots feather I believe zone 7 and up is a real fight to

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
Thanks folks. Is there a good site you use to figure this out?

I've found an NC Extension site but it is confusing. For example it says something things are invasive but also says it's distribution is in NC and it's good for phosphate removal. So does that mean it's okay as long as I don't let it loose in waterways (i.e. like with aquarium plants) or because it's outside I shouldn't use it?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If they allow it, you can buy it, then it is your responsibility to not toss into waterways. When I was searching for plants, went to plant sites, picked out what looked like something I would want. Then checked if it did ok here. Usually the site will say can not ship to xxx states.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
if you're responsible, then almost anything can be used/had. Parrot's feather is supposedly invasive here, according to the local DNR, and yet I haven't been able to get it to live over winter. So, who's saying it's invasive then if it dies in the winter? Keep it under control, don't let it get where it shouldn't be and you'll be okay. A lot of us have regular nursery plants as both bog and marginal plants and they do great. Some don't, but you'll soon learn which you like, which do well, and those that have to be monitored. Despite my loud protests, SOME even throw wisdom to the wind and grow CATTAILS! Can you believe it? And even they're okay if you keep an eye on them but it's like the Weeping Angels in Dr. Who; they'll kill ya if you turn away.

Like addy says; pick what you like, research to see how well it'll grow in your area, decide how much baby-sitting they need and if you're up for the challenge, then go for it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
research to see how well it'll grow in your area, decide how much baby-sitting they need and if you're up for the challenge, then go for it.
I had a lot of different plants over the years in the bog and in ground. If they survive our winter, my lack of care ie babysitting they get to live here. If they die they are not replaced.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Look like black fly larvae. I'm assuming that is in the water

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
In the water attached to the rock at the waterfall so it's a high flow area. You don't think they could be leeches (my worst fear)?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nope they are black flies watch they will be gone in a month and the numbers will triple

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
Thanks. They were gone two days later.

Anyone have a recommendation on outdoor pathways lights (solar or otherwise)?

Overhead shot from my friends drone.

Mulch should finally be going in on Saturday!

IMG_20210428_210158.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What a cool shot! I was excited when I realized Google Earth updated the aerial view of my house and you could see the pond, but this beats that by a mile!

Ask a Question