Day Lilies or Water Iris

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So I've got the option to send pennywort to someone for trade. They've offered Day Lily or Water Iris. Any thoughts on which would do better? I'd like to plant in the pond near the side in oil pans. Full sun and hot hot hot.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Both would do fine, although for me water iris has been harder to find so I would go with that.

Why not plant it right in the pond?

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Either would be nice, but I would go for the water iris. Great for taking up the nutrients in the pond. If the daylilies have large flowers, you would want to deadhead them so they don't go into the water. The water iris flowers are smaller and just dry up on the stalks.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
If it is Pseudacorus...RUN.
Ha. I have this and I know what you are saying. But I have been able to control it by keeping it in containers in the pond. When it gets really large I divide it and replant much smaller rhizomes and discard the rest.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Also called yellow flag iris - the same one CallingColleen has in her pond.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
When I plant new rhizomes, they don't bloom the first year.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
If you always plant your pond plants in pots, you should be able to control the yellow flag. My yellow flag are in pots and have not been an issue. Of course you are in a much warmer climate so I am not sure how fast they will multiply for you.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I love daylilies, but I keep them back a little from the pond because they can be messy when they drop their flowers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I bought many type of Irises and some of them took off and some just melt away. I'd get the Iris if I were you :)

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't mind the mess, I net every afternoon. I would like some color, I really don't have any now. Even my impatiens died in this gawd awful heat.
And yeah, I am hoping it's just early. Addy sent me a batch of tall growing grassy looking stuff that may be flag. I also may have pots of it in my yard.
I really wish I knew what I have growing on around me... LOL
I guess I'll opt for the Day Lilies. Thanks all!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I really wish I knew what I have growing on around me...
Ha. I use to keep really good records - knew all the types of daylilies I had. Then one year I went on a massive dividing and transplanting mission and I have no idea what is what now. :) What is nice about daylilies is that different ones bloom at different times. Last month I had the Stella blooming, this month all the others are blooming.

Ask a Question