Day of the Toads!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So, around the first of the month I was sitting out by the pond. The noise of toads was so loud, both in the woods and in the pond, I got up to see what was going on. There were at least 50 toads in the pond. Some were jumping out, and some were jumping in. They were crawling all over each other, and laying tons of eggs. I saw a pine branch in the pond, near the lilies. I went to pull it out, and saw it was covered with eggs. I left it alone. The noise and activity was incredible all day long. Even the lizards came to check it out. The next day, all was as quiet as could be. Within 2 days I had several thousand pollywogs, and no sign of eggs or slime.
DSCF8643.jpg

DSCF8642.jpg

DSCF8641.jpg

DSCF8639.jpg

DSCF8638.jpg

DSCF8637.jpg

DSCF8636.jpg

DSCF8634.jpg

DSCF8633.jpg

DSCF8632.jpg

DSCF8631.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for sharing! We have a resident frog that we're pretty sure is a green frog (or bronze frog). It sounds like a plucked banjo string, so we've named it Banjo. It twangs day & night and we get such a kick out of listening to it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have seen more toads and eggs this year than I care to. Too many for my pond. The toad love went on for weeks here.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had thousands of toad eggs, thousands of toad tads, now they are all out in the yard. Every now and then, i.e seldom, I see a tiny toadlet jumping around. They grow legs and get out of the water quickly

Great pics Mike

Ask a Question