Daylilies in bog

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have 4 daylilies that I am planning to put in my blog, just wondering if anyone can tell me the best place for them. The back part of my bog the water level is a little lower so it doesn't come all the way to the top of the gravel. The front of my bog the water level come to the top of the gravel. So where will these guys grow the best?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have some in gravel that is above the water level, some in gravel that is a covered with water, 1/2 inch or so, both do great. I put them in last spring, need to remove some as they have grown so well, stick them back in the dirt lol

Reaction score
I think they, and most marginals, do better higher up out of water. But it can be a close call. Trouble is if rot does start the plant does goes down hill fast so, to me, higher is better.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think it depends on the lily, mine seem fine in either water or slightly out of the water.

Jen you could mound up some of the gravel to make little out of water hills for the lilies if you want them in a different spot and out of the water higher. I put mine towards the back of the bog, as a back drop they do grow a mass of leaves. This way I could still see the smaller bog plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I will try them in the back then. I don't think they will need little hills since the water level is lower under the gravel there then in the front anyway. I'm not sure what other plants I'm going to get for the bog yet either. Planning on going Saturday to pick some out. I know I want corkscrew rush, but other then that no idea. Just hoping in the back they don't disappear behind other plants.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Their flowers stick up pretty high, I can easily see mine past the rush that is growing in front.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here they start blooming end of may, june. This year probably earlier, the plants are growing huge already and seeing flower stalks coming up. Some bloom off and on all summer, some bloom for a month or more.

Ask a Question