Dead Algae

Reaction score
Last year I built a Skippy Filter and everyone was a great help in answering my all my questions. Prior to that I had a UV Filter. Since I have built that Skippy filter I have a large build up of dead Algae on the media (dish sponges inside of a netting type of bag). I also have a large amount of dead algae on the bottom of the pond. Do I just need to rinse the media clean and put it back into the skippy and vacuum the bottom or should the pond cycle take care of everything once it is properly established?

Since ive built my pond i have mostly been concerned with the landscaping around the pond and not inside of the pond. I have 2 or 3 fish that somehow have survived for 2-3 years without being fed. I also have 2-3 pond plants. Last year I planted a few water lilies which never really thrived. In what order should I start to establish a proper pond cycle? I dont know whether I should first be concerned with putting plants in the water, more fish, or getting rid of the algae.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance,

Brian

Reaction score
Will you always have to remove the dead algae or if the pond has a properly established balance between plants and fish and filtration will it eventually take care of itself?

I cant use a skimmer to scoop out all of the dead algae bc its very fine and just stirs it up making it impossible to scoop out

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've had quite a bit of filament type algae this Spring, svn though I have a filter, uv light skimmer etc. I've found added aeration to be helpful and I just kept netting it out.

Koilady

Water Garden Consultant
Reaction score
I agree with Diesel. Make sure that you have all debris from the bottom of your pond removed. The filter we use allows us to have crystal clear water with no hair algae because we never have to clean the bio-media, all debris is trapped at the top of the filter. The way this filter works is that the water from the pond goes into the top of the bio-filter where three layers of window screening traps the debris from the pond. The water goes down the bio-media, up a pipe on the inside of the filter and back out to the pond. It's the best filter we've used in 32 years. In the beginning of our pond experiences we used upflow bio-filters on our 14 ponds using lava rock. I can't tell you how much work it took to get that lava rock out and hose it all down to get rid of the dark green sludge. It makes me sick when I think of how much water we wasted cleaning these filters.
With the downflow bio-filter we have now, all I have to do is take my wet vacuum to the top of the filter and vacuum up the accumulation of sludge and once every month to six weeks, depending on how many fish I have in my ponds, I remove the bio-media and clean out the inside of the filter and then put everything back.

Hugs, Lorraine

Koilady

Water Garden Consultant
Reaction score
I should also mention that the algae on the sides of your pond is actually very good for a number of reasons. First, it helps to filter the water and it allows a good food for the fish to feed off of. This algae acts as a natural colour enhancer and is high in Vitamin C, according to what I've been told.

Your's Koily, Lorraine

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Last year I built a Skippy Filter and everyone was a great help in answering my all my questions. Prior to that I had a UV Filter. Since I have built that Skippy filter I have a large build up of dead Algae on the media (dish sponges inside of a netting type of bag). I also have a large amount of dead algae on the bottom of the pond. 1) Do I just need to rinse the media clean and put it back into the skippy and vacuum the bottom or should the pond cycle take care of everything once it is properly established?

Since ive built my pond i have mostly been concerned with the landscaping around the pond and not inside of the pond. I have 2 or 3 fish that somehow have survived for 2-3 years without being fed. I also have 2-3 pond plants. Last year I planted a few water lilies which never really thrived. 2) In what order should I start to establish a proper pond cycle? I dont know whether I should first be concerned with putting plants in the water, more fish, or getting rid of the algae.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance,

Brian

1) Do I just need to rinse the media clean and put it back into the skippy and vacuum the bottom or should the pond cycle take care of everything once it is properly established?

Correct, just gently rinse the media and put it back into the skippy then vacuum the bottom. You don't need to be OCD about the vacuuming as long as around 70% of it is removed.

This "stuff" or "build up" is what is considered to be complex organic waste since the "stuff" is in more of a solid state rather than a chemical state. When anything is in a solid state, then more energy and oxygen is required as fuel for microorganisms to decompose the solid state "stuff" into its constituent chemical state compounds. This fuel must be taken from somewhere so the microorganisms steals these components from water, which can mean bad news to plants and fish that need it to survive. When this happens, then other "bad" things can happen unless you have proper insects or algae or other "stuff" in the water to counteract these "bad" things, such as replenishing the lost oxygen. Once in the solid waste "build up sutff" is in a chemical state, then the "stuff" becomes more easily manageable by humans through the use of plants and biological filtration. So, best route is to gently rinse the media and vacuum the bottom.

2) In what order should I start to establish a proper pond cycle?

Anything that helps to grow the filtering microorganisms will help a pond to cycle and these microorganisms need fuel. The typical type of microorganisms that a ponder tries to grow is the type of microorganisms that is easier to be managed by humans, such as when the fuel is in the chemical state, as explained above. A "chemical state" can be represented by the ammonia, which is what fish create after feeding. This ammonia waste can then be much easier filtered, or processed, by the appropriate microorganisms so to create nitrate nitrogen, that is plant and algae fertilizer.

The dead algae will release this ammonia as well except, since the dead algae is in a solid state, then the additional fuel components will be required.

So, the easiest way to help establish a proper pond cycle is to slowly feed your fish.

There is much to be learned if you want a better answer to this question so this means there must be homework for you to do and here are some keywords for you to further study: 1) nitrification; 2) denitrification; 3) biological oxygen demand; 4) alkalinity; 5) ammonia; 6) nitrite; 7) nitrate; 8) likely other terms that I can not recall at the moment due to having a few cervezas. :)

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I agree with Diesel. Make sure that you have all debris from the bottom of your pond removed. The filter we use allows us to have crystal clear water with no hair algae because we never have to clean the bio-media, all debris is trapped at the top of the filter. The way this filter works is that the water from the pond goes into the top of the bio-filter where three layers of window screening traps the debris from the pond. The water goes down the bio-media, up a pipe on the inside of the filter and back out to the pond. It's the best filter we've used in 32 years. In the beginning of our pond experiences we used upflow bio-filters on our 14 ponds using lava rock. I can't tell you how much work it took to get that lava rock out and hose it all down to get rid of the dark green sludge. It makes me sick when I think of how much water we wasted cleaning these filters.
With the downflow bio-filter we have now, all I have to do is take my wet vacuum to the top of the filter and vacuum up the accumulation of sludge and once every month to six weeks, depending on how many fish I have in my ponds, I remove the bio-media and clean out the inside of the filter and then put everything back.

Hugs, Lorraine

Fun and interesting DIY filter. Sounds like a gravity flow sieve with bio-media at the bottom.

I don't think for one moment that this filter is the reason for no hair algae, since this algae is a self sustaining prehistoric plant or bacterium depending on the species, but the filter is a good idea.

Ask a Question