Dead Algae?

Reaction score
This is my first pond and I have a couple of questions.

The pond has been filled for about 3 weeks. After it was filled for 10 days or so the water started to turn pea soup green, at that time a added a uv clarifier, two days later the water was clear again. Now there is a coating of brown (dead algae?) on the bottom. Should I vacuum this out?

Also, last Friday I added some fish, they seem to be eating this or other stuff in the pond, but have yet to eat any food I give them, is this normal?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dave

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
From what I understand, new fish often won't eat for a while, maybe a couple weeks. Once you have a, um, herd, new ones seem to join right in, but when they're all newbies or alone they're cagey.

Maybe someone knowledgeable could chime in on the brown algae. I've heard that brown algae is a good thing, a home for nitrifying bacteria. In my pond, if I brush it off, it's back in a matter of hours. I wouldn't think it is dead green water algae, but I've been wrong before. I think it was 1982, I thought I was wrong. Maybe not.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
hewhoisatpeace said:
but I've been wrong before. I think it was 1982, I thought I was wrong. Maybe not.

LAUGHING that is what my husband says!

My goldfish in az loved to eat the brown growth on the sides of the pond.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Well, at least I'm not alone, in the brown algae thing either, eh?

Hey, also, zone 6b, 2', sounds like cold winter for fish. I'm zone 7b, and seems like I always heard 3' for koi - at least. Whatchoo got in that there pond?

If it's even an option, I'd think about going deeper. Might be hard, but fish like it. Just saying, IMHO, etc., etc...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond in arizona was 4-5 feet deep due to the heat, the water stayed in the 85 degree range. Even when 118

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Yeah, mine's 6', stays around 80 usually. I have really steep sides, because I have cats. Cats can swim, and cats can catch fish, but not at the same time, so no beach for me. But the 6' deep part is 6' straight down, and gives a good bit of shade, esp. in the afternoon.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If it is on the bottom, it is muck and should be vacuumed out. It will become septic and can cause dropsy.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If one of your fish blows up like a baloon with eyes popping out and the scales look like pinecones, that is dropsy. They can get it from the muck in the bottom. If you catch it in time, and treat it with Tetracycline in a hospital tank, you can save the fish.
I saved this one and he fully recovered in 2 weeks.

Attachments

• Sanke Dropsy.JPG
    Sanke Dropsy.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 570

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
I guess I just haven't experienced what you're talking about in my pond. The whole pond slopes to the bottom drain, except for the bog garden area, which is getting really full of plants, so all I ever see is brown algae that grows on the sides. I guess you're talking about fish poop, mulm, stuff like that is bad juju. Mine just gets strained and dumped in the biofilter.

Ask a Question