Dead Fish - Algae and Gills

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thats the problem mate we have to go with both your going to get flashing because the fish feel irritated by the water conditions we have to take care of this fungal outbreak because it will be also in your pond remember what I said about spores :eek: ?
I'd start by a bit of a water change "which I'm doing on our own pond as we speak", :cool: get your filters back on track and take care of the fungus all at around about the same time which I dont like .
But if your fish are starting to flash sit on the bottom and have a covering of fungus (the last three things you reported prior then it has to be fixed rapidly, I would also cut the number of goldfish by at least half because 100+ is too many :(

Dave (y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
@Dave... As a check i just tested our tap water. This came back with a PH of 8 and a GH of 21d and KH of 20d.

This is what i've been using to top up the pond after the filter changes... so approx 600 liters every week in a 21000 liter pond, so about 3%. I also tested the rain water i've got in the water barrels.... That's at the other end of the scale.. PH of 6.4, GH of 3d and KH of 3d. That is used for cleaning the filter.

But the pond water gives better values, as i posted above.

Thinking about it, she's the only fish doing this, so it's unlikely to be the water quality... isn't it? Can parasites make a fish flash and jump?

I'm going to try and catch the big Koi and give her a salt bath, just to be on the safe side.

cheers,

Andy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
Hi Dave,

I gave away about 50 fish last month, so i'm down to about 50 now.

It was just one neighbour who complained about the noise, and they're well known in the area. :)

cheers,

Andy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Dave,

I gave away about 50 fish last month, so i'm down to about 50 now.

It was just one neighbour who complained about the noise, and they're well known in the area. :)

cheers,

Andy.
If that means well known for complaiing then let them , they are the ones making fools of themselves not you ssome folks are never happy unless they make others unhappy sad really but there you go (y)
We had the neighbours from hell for 9 years in the form of an elderly couple who made everyones life an absolute misery I garentee you had there had been a pond outside it would have been reported to the Authorities or worse :(
It was found by the Authoities 9 years into this that the old boy was insane and no doubt had they been outside then he may have gone so far as to poison them :(
At least now you know and are taking steps to correct this problem :)

Dave;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Sadly yes water quality issuse can cause a koi to jump, even go off its food....... but then again so can parasites when you net the koi let me know what you see i;e reddening of fins (irritation/parasite).
You could possibly see clamped fins, a white haze to koi around the upper part of the head back to the dorsal, split fins/rotton fins/fungal finnage look for everything that may point to a parasite even whitespots .
Personally its going to take a bit of time getting you back on track again mate, you've alott to do especially getting your filters up to par again .
Keep a very close eye as to that is happening in your pond and fish on a daily basis and we'll win through mate that I promise you :cool:

Dave;)

Reaction score
Sadly yes water quality issuse can cause a koi to jump, even go off its food....... but then again so can parasites when you net the koi let me know what you see i;e reddening of fins (irritation/parasite).
You could possibly see clamped fins, a white haze to koi around the upper part of the head back to the dorsal, split fins/rotton fins/fungal finnage look for everything that may point to a parasite even whitespots .
Personally its going to take a bit of time getting you back on track again mate, you've alott to do especially getting your filters up to par again .
Keep a very close eye as to that is happening in your pond and fish on a daily basis and we'll win through mate that I promise you :cool:

Dave;)
Hi, I just joined this forum. ( I've been searching for this one for a long time) I have 1,200 gallon pond and I don't know how often do I need to change water. I noticed algae grow so fast. Can you advise me how to maintain my pond. I have 2 koi 18" and 20 + gold fish.. Thank you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I just joined this forum. ( I've been searching for this one for a long time) I have 1,200 gallon pond and I don't know how often do I need to change water. I noticed algae grow so fast. Can you advise me how to maintain my pond. I have 2 koi 18" and 20 + gold fish.. Thank you
Welcome to the Forum you run 200gallons over me in my pond I do a 40% water change on a weekly basis throughout the year using a dechloriniser unit and the trickle meathod of putting the water back in ,(if done correctly in the winter months you only lose between .1-.2c )
My filters are cleaned three times a year late spring, mid summer and late Autumn and our pond is insulated against the winter months as are or filters in their housing .
Do you have a bottom drain ?

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Dave, what type of filters do you have? I presume they're something much bigger / sophisticated than my little pressured one. I wish I could get away with maintenance three times per year:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Tula I have four filters the first is a 32" vortex style filter for seperating off the large bits of detritus. ;)
Then we have another 32" vortex style filter with an arrangement of Japanses matting zeolite rocks filterpads and brushes which removes the finer bits :) .
Yet another 32" vortex style filter again with an arrangement of Japanese matting lithaqua and quilt batting to clean out the finest particles of detritus. (y)
Then as a replacement we have our barrel bio filter filled with K1 Aqua one bioballs, bioballs and bio chips no's 2 and 3 filters are supplied with three airstones the boi filter has six airstones all suplied by a evolution Aqua Aiitec 40e air pump.:cool:
Last but not least I have another airtec 40e supplying the spindrifter bubbler on top of our bottom drain :D
That is one hell of alott of filtration infact they are from a reto-fitted koi dealership Quaranteen Pond capable if I wished of homing over 100 6" koi on a long term basis so you could say they are indutrial sized filters.:eek:
However the more filtration you have on a pond the better for your fish have you thought about an upgrade Tula ?

Dave ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Dave, I've made some changes this year....upgrade pump to filter and re homed 50 + fish. I have 5 koi in my 1700 gallon pond. I've two types of filter pads in my Savio skimmer and I clean those daily:( I clean my pressurized filter about once every 5 days and do water changes about twice per week. I net out any debris from the pond bottom. I adore my koi and watch them endlessly....I love to take pics of them.

I'm not a spring chicken any more, so don't think I'd make any major changes to my pond. I'd purchase a larger filter when I need to replace mine.......not sure what else to do. I also run an air pump year round and am thinking of another one.

I know you've had your koi a long while, so know you're doing something right:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave, I've made some changes this year....upgrade pump to filter and re homed 50 + fish. I have 5 koi in my 1700 gallon pond. I've two types of filter pads in my Savio skimmer and I clean those daily:( I clean my pressurized filter about once every 5 days and do water changes about twice per week. I net out any debris from the pond bottom. I adore my koi and watch them endlessly....I love to take pics of them.

I'm not a spring chicken any more, so don't think I'd make any major changes to my pond. I'd purchase a larger filter when I need to replace mine.......not sure what else to do. I also run an air pump year round and am thinking of another one.

I know you've had your koi a long while, so know you're doing something right:)

When you say spring chicken Tula what age are we talking about :LOL: I hit 57 in March of this year and Val 55 both of us are registered disabled but the way our pond is se up means there is very little in the way of hard work involved a few barrel filters would probably help you rather than doing what your doing at the moment which seems like alott of hard work to us.
But each to their own systems, by the way it was harder to clean our koi indoors in their large aquarium :( than it is to do nowadays and has most probably extended our hobby by another 20 years or so (y):cool::)

Dave ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'll hit 57 this summer:)

Part of what makes my pond area so pretty, is also what makes it hard to change filtration. I had a beautiful stone patio built around it, with some nice landscaping.....also the area isn't level. Fortunately I like maintaining my pond - weird I know :)

I'll keep loving my pond, but when we sell this house, will rehome my five koi and close down the pond - wouldn't very chance leaving it to someone who'd neglect my babies:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I'll hit 57 this summer:)

Part of what makes my pond area so pretty, is also what makes it hard to change filtration. I had a beautiful stone patio built around it, with some nice landscaping.....also the area isn't level. Fortunately I like maintaining my pond - weird I know :)

I'll keep loving my pond, but when we sell this house, will rehome my five koi and close down the pond - wouldn't very chance leaving it to someone who'd neglect my babies:)
Ahh 50's child like Val and I and no its not weird at all Tula we do the same , it shows dedication to our hobby , one of our filters is a hard to get to filter in that we have a Yuka tree growing next to it .
You take your life into your hands trying to get passed it :eek: the number of times the sharp tips on the end of its leaves has stabbed me these last Five years well I've lost count but thank god I only have to clean that filter three times a year:LOL:

Dave;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Andy how are we going on implelementing the changes to how you run your pond keep us posted each step of the way my friend , your going to have to wait for the pond to cycle again so stop feeding your fish for a while till ou see that spike in ammonia and Nitrite then your back on track :)(y).
As to your neighbour sorry cant help you there but perhaps explaining to them why you have to run the Pond 24/7 may help on this matter :cool:

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
Hi Dave,

Latest update.... i've been running the filter for 24 hours a day since we last spoke, and the flashing/jumping has stopped and he's gone back to eating normally. So hopefully that was the issue.

The bad news is that i've found another goldfish with the algae/fungus growing on him. I managed to catch him and give him a salt bath yesterday. Apart from the algae he looks and eats fine.

I was wondering if there's a multispectrum treatment that i can chuck in the pond to treat this that is safe for goldfish and koi?

cheers,

Andy.

Ask a Question