Dead fish

Reaction score
I'm thinking I may have rats around and or in my pond. I've had 3 dead fish in the last 2 days and we do have a problem with mice and rats where I live in Baltimore county . Any one with any suggestions what I can do ? Thanks

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
More information about your pond please. Maybe you can put a net over your pond? A cat? Mouse traps?

Reaction score
I do use a net on the fall for leaves but not now Ruth all my plants in bloom . I wish j could have a car but I have dogs so that's not a choice . My husband does have traps set, we've caught a few rats , that's how I know they are out there. I don't really know what else I can do

Reaction score
We are going to need WAY more info. How big is your pond? How many gallons? How many fish? What kind of fish? How big are they? What sort if filtration to you have? How many gallons per hour pump? What is the level of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? How long have you had this pond? How often do you feed? Have you tried using a net in the kind to scoop out possible rats? Can we see a picture? Do you have a cat?

Reaction score
I've had the pond for about 5 years, it's around 220 gallons . I gave koi and goldfish . I've lost a fancy goldfish and a large yellow koi. They really don't have any look to them like they've been eaten on like that, but I find them floating. I've had my water tested and they say it's fine, all my levels are where they should be. The only thing I've added to my pond was a uv light around april because of Algee . I have around 8 fish left . I'll do a water change this week . I do not have a picture of the fish but the next one, I will take a pic of. No I have no cats, I have dogs . I feed them every other day with flakes and pellets and occasional oranges that they love. My fish are about 3-5 inches , the koi I lost was the biggest, around 6 in.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
- It doesn't look like your dead fish is due to rodents. If you really wanted to, you can put your net on for them. If you have plants, use PVC pipes or wood to make a frame so the net isn't on the water.
- Sometimes fish just die. But you have quite a lot of fish for your small pond. How much do you feed them each time?
- Do you have any kind of filter for your pond? It's probably a good idea to buy your own testing kit. How often do you do water changes and how do you do it?

Reaction score
- It doesn't look like your dead fish is due to rodents. If you really wanted to, you can put your net on for them. If you have plants, use PVC pipes or wood to make a frame so the net isn't on the water.
- Sometimes fish just die. But you have quite a lot of fish for your small pond. How much do you feed them each time?
- Do you have any kind of filter for your pond? It's probably a good idea to buy your own testing kit. How often do you do water changes and how do you do it?

My filter is great, I have plenty of plants and I give them a small Dixie cup full, 1/2 of flakes and 1/2 of pellets. I think I will get a testing kit I do water changes about every other month or maybe I'll go a little longer depends on how clear the water is . I use my filter and a hose attached to drain about 1/2 and fill it back up with the hose and use stress coat when I do . Thanks for all your ideas and input, hopefully I won't gave any more fish die on me.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
My filter is great, I have plenty of plants and I give them a small Dixie cup full, 1/2 of flakes and 1/2 of pellets. I think I will get a testing kit I do water changes about every other month or maybe I'll go a little longer depends on how clear the water is . I use my filter and a hose attached to drain about 1/2 and fill it back up with the hose and use stress coat when I do . Thanks for all your ideas and input, hopefully I won't gave any more fish die on me.
- What is your filter?
- A small Dixie cup full of food for 8 fish in a 220g pond is much, much too much food. It's about 20 times what you should be feeding them. Rule of thumb is whatever they eat in a couple of minutes. I have an 800g pond with 19 fish and I feed them 3/4 thimble full of food twice a day.
- Since fish don't have stomachs, you should feed the same amount in small doses more often than once every 2 days. For your 8 fish, I wouldn't feed more than 1/2 thimble full twice a day.

Reaction score
I'll change their amount of food. My water tested fine . So I guess if just see what happens in the coming days. Thanks

Reaction score
I have to be honest, I must have skimmed over the Dixie cup full of food! First, I would never suggest feeding fish flakes. As soon as they hit the water the nutrients start washing out of them and they start breaking down into toxic ammonia. I'm shocked your water tests fine. Do you know what the actual numbers are?

Reaction score
I have to be honest, I must have skimmed over the Dixie cup full of food! First, I would never suggest feeding fish flakes. As soon as they hit the water the nutrients start washing out of them and they start breaking down into toxic ammonia. I'm shocked your water tests fine. Do you know what the actual numbers are?

I took my water to a fish store and she said it was fine . I guess I won't use the flakes any longer, I use them because I do have gold fish in the pond as well has the koi . I tell you, this pond stuff has really drained my pocket book as well as my nerves. It's sure is a lot of work . I figured the longer I had it , it would become easier but after 5 years, it's getting harder and harder to take care of .

Ask a Question