Dead fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, my 15 beautiful Gold fish died, left house water running.
We are new to this. The house we bought a year ago had the pond. Now we want to start all over. We want to do things right. The water turned green again. I want to put new fish. What to do? Should I empty it and clean it ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
When you say you left the house water running… you filled the pond without treating the water? What percentage of the pond do you think you filled? With city water? How long ago?

How big is the pond? That will help us determine the right number of fish for you.

I’m general don’t worry about green water. It does that. Trying to “fix” it often makes it worse in the long run. As your pond balances, it will go away.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Eric,

I left the water running, because I forgot...It ran for five hours when I cabe back from work eight fish were dead and the other struggling. I ran to petshop to buy products to decloride the water, my husband put air in water because I don't have filter (yet). But the others still died...It happened 5 days ago. The pound was crysral clear for the first time in one year, but all fish dead. Before they were fine and healthy. Now, the pond is full of frog eggs and grub. I also have water plants in it. I want to start over, but the right way. I just order a filter with water circulation. I want to know if I should empty it completely, clean it put rocks and gravel in it and more. before I put fish in it again. I world like to enjoy a crystal clear pond. Please advise.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1652804596508.gif
@Fraya

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I’d let it sit another week or so unless you put in enough dechlorinator or you know your city uses chlorine and not chloramine.

Please tell us how big your pond is.

And don’t worry about the clear water. It will come, it just takes patience and a balanced pond. But dumping chemicals postpones getting into balance, not speeds it up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh I'm so sorry! Try not to feel too bad - I think we've all made a pond boo-boo at one time or another. You'll learn from it and move on. I always always ALWAYS set a timer when I put a hose on - just so I don't have to hear my husband yelling about the water bill, if nothing else!

Like others have said - clear water doesn't mean healthy water, so don't worry too much about that in the beginning. When you pond gets in balance - water, plants and fish - you will have a happy pond!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’d let it sit another week or so unless you put in enough dechlorinator or you know your city uses chlorine and not chloramine.

Please tell us how big your pond is.

And don’t worry about the clear water. It will come, it just takes patience and a balanced pond. But dumping chemicals postpones getting into balance, not speeds it up.
Thank you so much for the response. So. just to be clear. Don't clean and don't put any products in the water? Right now there are lots of frogs developing. I do have plants, I don't have rocks, I was thinking to put sand pebbles that I have been collecting from the beach, will that work?. If not why kind of rocks should I use? I will also put a filter with a little fountain to keep water moving. What about

Natural Waterscapes Muck Remover GP?​

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know how many gallon of water my pond has. I posted a picture, is a small pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh I'm so sorry! Try not to feel too bad - I think we've all made a pond boo-boo at one time or another. You'll learn from it and move on. I always always ALWAYS set a timer when I put a hose on - just so I don't have to hear my husband yelling about the water bill, if nothing else!

Like others have said - clear water doesn't mean healthy water, so don't worry too much about that in the beginning. When you pond gets in balance - water, plants and fish - you will have a happy pond!
Thank you Lisa, for your comment. Yes, I feel horrible for killing my beautiful fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'd make your pond out to be under 200 gallons. I would say 5 fish or so is a better number, long term, than 15 for a pond that size.

When you say "sand from the beach" are we talking a freshwater or a salt water beach. Sand and so forth from the ocean is not appropriate as those are usually going to dissolve turning your pond into ocean water. Not good for freshwater fish. Same is true of limestone. If a little vinegar dropped on it fizzes, don't put it in your pond.

Anything else you collect from nature should be fine. Just hose it off real good.

Now for restarting your pond. Put in a filter and get that water movement first. Then start with 1-2 small fish for several weeks, then add another 1-2, then up to your final 5. Your filter won't have the capability of handling a full load at first, it takes time.

Aside from decholorinator, don't put any chemical in your pond. If you need to top up your pond, I wouldn't do more than 10-20 gallons at a time, especially if you don't treat it for chlorine. Better to just use a 5 gallon bucket for a pond your size.

Japanese snails are fine. I don't know what janitor fish are.

Cheers!

Eric

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I forgot that you have an "old" pond. Forget about muck remover chemicals, but if there is a lot of muck on the bottom you can scoop it out with a fine net. If there is really a lot of it you can remove all the plants, drain it, remove the muck, and refill it. No need to scrub anything as that's all good stuff.

And pebbles is up to you. It's mostly an aesthetic choice.

Ask a Question