Dead frog / planter ideas

Reaction score
I found a dead frog floating in my pond this morning. Not really sure what to think. I tested the water yesterday and everything was fine. The fish seem happy. I don't think its a water quality thing. Makes me sad. :(

Also noticed a small amount of foam near the waterfall, but I read that is normal. Let me know if anyone disagrees.

I had some rocks stacked up on one side of my pond and I had been sticking plants in them bare root, everything was going well until the plants started to grow and I guess the wind blows them a bit and now the rocks are starting to fall apart and the plants aren't really secure any more. I had thought the roots would knit the rocks together and keep everything a bit more steady, but that's not happening.

I don't like to see plant pots in the pond, so I was thinking of using waterfall foam to stick rocks to the outside of the pots, give them a more natural look. But then I'd have to balance the pots on rocks to raise them up high enough.

ARG!!! The frustrations of a badly planned and built pond!!!!!!! I'm so close to finding a huge holding tank catching all the fish and starting over! BUT I don't have time to do that. So I will just deal with what I have.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
What an offer how could you pass that one up .:)I know my koi will kill frogs and suck there insides out and then I get the joy of scooping out the remains .Autopsy perform death by koi

Reaction score
Regarding foam.... Small amount, no problem. Starting to spread... Problem. Foam is generally a sign of rising levels of dissolved organics in a pond. It often is accompanied by high levels of phosphate. After that comes high levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. A long Winter with a pond that accumulated debris could cause this. I would test the water and see if you need a change.

Reaction score
I'll tell you what, Priscilla. You cover my airfare, accommodations, booze bill, laundry, food, entertainment, etc., and I'll mosey on down there and do it all for you.

Morewater, I might have taken up on that one till you said booze bill! Sounds pricey! Lol!

Regarding foam.... Small amount, no problem. Starting to spread... Problem. Foam is generally a sign of rising levels of dissolved organics in a pond. It often is accompanied by high levels of phosphate. After that comes high levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. A long Winter with a pond that accumulated debris could cause this. I would test the water and see if you need a change.

Diesel, No winter here in Cayman. Pond is only three months old. Water tested great yesterday. There's only a small amount right next to the waterfall (which is moving a lot of water, more than I thought it would), so I think its fine. I will watch if it spreads though.

What an offer how could you pass that one up .:)I know my koi will kill frogs and suck there insides out and then I get the joy of scooping out the remains .Autopsy perform death by koi

Sissy, WHAT?????? My koi are all babies right now, less than 8 inches. I didn't think they would kill a frog! Okay, I will brace myself for this in the future.

I sure learn something new on this site every day!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have watched several frogs get caught over the years and killed by my koi .The foam could be just extra oxygen in the water from the heavy flow of water .If the foam has color to it then I wouldn't be worried or if you can pick it up in your hands and it smells funny .I get it when I turn my pump on full power in my water fall ..Koi sometimes just kill frogs for fum also .When my koi were smaller they used to chase the frogs and kill them but not suck there innards out .At least instead of booze he could have said seafood and that would have been cheaper .Give him a fishing pole and net and say have fun :)What you catch you eat

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I too learn something here everyday....had no idea koi would kill frogs and dine on their innards :( I've given up on bull frog tad poles...they were koi snacks:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Tula, you just need to go to a natural pond/lake in the spring, when the there are lots of frogs mating and bring tadpoles to your pond. I have bullfrogs in my farm pond (it's about 1/2 acre small) and they wander to my backyard ponds, so I never am in short supply. If you catch local frogs, they will have a better chance of surviving. If you buy them, the fish will eat them for sure! LOL I'm sure my koi and goldfish eat the baby taddies, but that's ok. I sure don't need hundreds of frogs, but I do love the frogs. Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I had 9 frogs , but when pond work was done, they left and didn't return:( I now worry that since I don't have my gravel bottom with lilies rooted there, that my pond isn't appealing to them.

Good point about local frogs faring better....maybe some will hop on over this year!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I take mine away and the taddies also ,they clog up the pump .I have a stream that runs across the property on the other side of the road and they make so much noise it is horrible sometimes .Every kind of froggy noise you can imagine .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I have netted out quite a few bullfrogs, all sizes, from the bottoms of my ponds. I have nothing on the bottom, other than any leaf matter that blew in there this winter. The frogs snuggle into that on the bottom. Not sure they would like gravel, but assume your gravel also includes other leaf matter, etc. on the bottom. They will also take up residence in a lily pot if you have one under the freeze line of your water for winter. I did spot one small bullfrog outside the pond last weekend. I know there will be lots of them again this year. Hoping the Big Kahua is still there this year. Thinking that one got netted out and tossed back in. I just know it was larger than my hand. It's even more fun when all sorts of other frogs show up - Northern Cricket frogs, spring peepers, leopard frogs to name a few. I even enjoy the toads, when they start croaking in the evening then the next day there are gobs of toad eggs in the pond.

Reaction score
and here we were thinking that the FROGS we have been evicting might be eating our smaller fish - dace and smaller goldfish?
we have lost a few - that is to say not found or seen them again... and always seem to find frogs trying to get out of our pond... it has high sides so they are not always able to jump out.
Right now we have one that we managed to get it to jump on one of our planters and then was able to get out - only to find a good hiding spot in our waterfall area with all its stones/nooks....
Are we being paranoid or is there truth to the statement - "frogs will TRY to eat anything that will fit into their mouths" ??

Ask a Question