Dead Koi - Missing Scales

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
Hi Everyone,

It's been a long time since i last visited the site, and unfortunately i need your collective help again....

At the beginning of August i bought 3 new Koi (2x 20cm, and 1x 10cm) to add to the pond which already contains 8 Koi plus some Goldfish. A few days ago i noticed that one of the 3 new ones was swimming slowly and not that interested in Food.

Yesterday morning we found him Dead at the bottom of the Pond. When i took him out i noticed that he was missing a *lot* of scales (Orange and black markings are the normal colouration - look closely and you can see where the scales should be).

Apart from that there's no obvious signs of injury.

The other fish i added at the same time appear fine. Eating well, no scale loss.... same for the rest of the Koi. I never noticed any fish attacking him.

Water check is normal.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Obviously the main concern is that it's something the other fish could catch....

Cheers,

Andy.

fish_s.jpg

Last edited:

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hi Andy- sorry to hear you lost this fish. Are you sure the scales are missing? It looks like the fish is what is sometimes called a dragon scaled koi. Scales of different sizes and some areas with no scales. Not sure if that is the case. I'm sure someone else may have some ideas but the big question is did you quarantine the new fish?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
Hi mrsclem,

I've bought all the Koi from the same handler over the years. They're all quarantined and checked for disease each time he imports new ones.... so it that sense, yes, they were.

You're right, he is a 'Dragon Scaled' fish, but even so, he's missing Scales.....

When i get them home i let the bags sit in the water for 30 minutes and then add them to the pond.

As i mentioned the other two, that were bought at the same time, are fine. Only this poor guy.

I'm keeping a close eye on them though. I'll try and find a close up pic from when i first got him.

Cheers,

Andy.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
When i get them home i let the bags sit in the water for 30 minutes
Instead of doing this... Because all this does is acclimate temperature... Add 1tbsp of water to the bags every five minutes for 30 mins. Or drip acclimation.
Any symptoms before he died, acting strange?... Looking funny?...
Water check is normal.
what are your parameters?
Ammonia:
NO2:
NO3:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Other fish can sometimes attack a new .fish .Even when I give fish away I tell people to quarantine them .I know they are healthy but in transport they can get stressed and cause problems .Even plants should be cleaned and repotted ,I never take chances .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm sorry for your loss! Pretty fish! Did you quarantine the new fish before you added them to your pond? It's important to do this even when a seller quarantines the fish before shipping. This is a stressful time for a fish and at the very least, you want to give them a chance to settle in -- as well as observe them for possible diseases. And depending on who you talk to, quarantine can last anywhere from 2 weeks to several months. I usually shoot for 4 weeks -- if there is a disease or parasite present on the new fish, this gives it time to go through its life-cycle so hopefully you will catch it before you add to your pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
Instead of doing this... Because all this does is acclimate temperature... Add 1tbsp of water to the bags every five minutes for 30 mins. Or drip acclimation.
Any symptoms before he died, acting strange?... Looking funny?...

what are your parameters?
Ammonia:
NO2:
NO3:

He was off his food for a couple of days, and started swimming very slowly.... kind of lost interest in everything.

NH3, NO2, NO3 : I'll post them when i get home.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
I'm sorry for your loss! Pretty fish! Did you quarantine the new fish before you added them to your pond? It's important to do this even when a seller quarantines the fish before shipping. This is a stressful time for a fish and at the very least, you want to give them a chance to settle in -- as well as observe them for possible diseases. And depending on who you talk to, quarantine can last anywhere from 2 weeks to several months. I usually shoot for 4 weeks -- if there is a disease or parasite present on the new fish, this gives it time to go through its life-cycle so hopefully you will catch it before you add to your pond.

Thanks. This kind of quarantine is not possible for me. I rely on the seller doing this.... he's had him for 3 months before i bought him.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
Other fish can sometimes attack a new .fish .Even when I give fish away I tell people to quarantine them .I know they are healthy but in transport they can get stressed and cause problems .Even plants should be cleaned and repotted ,I never take chances .

Good advice.I do this with plants too.

He was in the pond for 3 weeks... never saw any fish attack him, and i spend *a lot* of time watching them :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Sorry for the loss of your fish, it was beautiful. I can't notice any scales missing either, but you know best how it looked when you got it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I found they do it at night .I had that problem with shubbies and could see them on the security camera and gave them to another ponder .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Sorry for your loss. I experienced the same thing this spring. In one week I lost 24 fish 24 - 36 inches long. First I noticed they were hiding in my skimmer or under any plant. They did not want to be in the sun. They did not eat. They laid on the plant shelves not even swimming just laid there . Then they started flashing and soon a white slime covered my whole pond. This pond is 17 years old and I have had fish for 25 years. I never saw anything like it. They are lethargic, gasping, not eating and then they finally would die...sometime 5 a day. I did water changes twice a day trying to help keep the slime out. I used gallons of Melafix and Pimafix.nothing seemed to help. No rhymed or reason what fish died ...some literally jumped out of the pond and I will find them dead on the walkway. Then after three weeks, it stopped. I took fish to several fish stores but no one had any idea.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
I found they do it at night .I had that problem with shubbies and could see them on the security camera and gave them to another ponder .

I was thinking about setting up a camera as well... which one did you buy?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
Sorry for your loss. I experienced the same thing this spring. In one week I lost 24 fish 24 - 36 inches long. First I noticed they were hiding in my skimmer or under any plant. They did not want to be in the sun. They did not eat. They laid on the plant shelves not even swimming just laid there . Then they started flashing and soon a white slime covered my whole pond. This pond is 17 years old and I have had fish for 25 years. I never saw anything like it. They are lethargic, gasping, not eating and then they finally would die...sometime 5 a day. I did water changes twice a day trying to help keep the slime out. I used gallons of Melafix and Pimafix.nothing seemed to help. No rhymed or reason what fish died ...some literally jumped out of the pond and I will find them dead on the walkway. Then after three weeks, it stopped. I took fish to several fish stores but no one had any idea.

Sorry to hear that. It sounds like the water conditions changed for some reason.....

I've checked my water though, and everything seems ok. Also other Koi seem quite happy. It's a mystery.

Ask a Question