Dead Koi

Reaction score
I found a dead Koi yesterday. Day before it seemed fine. We did have a lot of runoff get into the pond with the flooding last week. Could he have died as a result? all of the other fish seem fine. They are comets and Shibunkin.

Notice in the pic the red at the base of his fins.

All of my readings were in line prior to the flood. I have not checked the readings after yet.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Dead Koi.jpg
    Dead Koi.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 359

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Check all your readings again, that area at the bottom is a open wound, was it caused before the fish died or after? Check through the pond and look and see if you gained a occupant, We gained a small turtle during the storm, that's why i am suggesting this, If I had found a fish that looked like that in my pond and all water checks looked good before and after that would be one of the first things I would be concerned about and little turtle would be removed. However in my pond we get these little Musk turtles from time to time when we get hard rains and they seem to adapt well in the pond and have not caused serious problems so far. Although I have seen them get a fin of a fish during feeding time in the past. Also look for sharp edgings on rocks and deco in the pond. Is that the normal color of the fish? I have seen in the past where some blackening of the scales can be caused by ammonia fluctuations. Be sure and check your ammonia and nitrite closely. If anything went out of wack this would be where I would first look as it can cause issues almost exactly as you described, all look fine one day and a problem the next.

Reaction score
I wasn't sure if it was a wound or rupture from swelling after death. I will check for visitors though. I hadn't thought of that.

The black was part of his normal color.

I will check for sharp edges. The only think i can think of off hand is the clamp that holds the hose to the pump.

do you think the red at the base of his fins is part of the cause or an after effect?

Ask a Question