dead toad

Reaction score
A few weeks back I had a dead frog floating. Now I found a dead toad. Probable same one from my herps post in the photo section. I don't.know how I didn't find it before. It was dead to the point of practically melting. Stunk real bad. Is there concern? I have three comets that are fine.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just found out that roundup kills the frogs and toads, did you use any recently?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Toads will jump into a pond to breed, but unlike frogs, they lack the leg strength to jump back out! Always make sure that there is an escape route for them. An untreated board with one end on the pond rim and the other floating on the water is the simplest method. A shallow "beach" area also works. As for the rotting corpse, it shouldn't be a problem IF tou have a functioning bio-filter, although you may notice a small spike in the ammonia / nitrite readings. John

Reaction score
I don't use any chemicals, not saying the neighbor don't.
I have a slope on all sides of the pond. I have rocks in the pond.

I guess it could also have been a cat. I have seen one roaming around in the backyard. My main concern is a water problem. Maybe I am just worrying too much. I had a lot of frogs last year and none of them died.

My filtering is not very good right now. I only have a pump and a sponge filter. I assume all the rocks I have help a little bit. Just trying to limp along until I put my new filter in next year along with a larger pump. Probably a mistake getting those 3 comets, but seem to be fine now.

The toad was all gooey. Yuck

Ask a Question