Dealing with Power Outages -- Help!

Reaction score
Last week, while we were out of town, the power went out. When it resumed, my pump to my koi pond failed to re-prime, and pumped for 8 hours dry until I had a neighbor unplug it.

Miraculously, the pump survived, though I've been told the pump should have only lasted 30- min.

Anyway, I have installed a new check valve -- I think the old one was sticking -- to try to ensure that the pump stays primed in the event of an outage. But..

..as a backup in future, I do NOT want the pump to come back on when power resumes. Can anyone please advise what to buy to make this happen? I believe I want a magnetic starter relay, but I have google this and cannot figure out what to actually buy.

Specs on pump are as follows:

3,897 max gph, 3,500 gph @ 5', ± 1.3 amps, ± 143 watts

Also, if anyone can look at my diagram, and advise on how to keep pump primed through a power outage, I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

Kurt

Attachments

• koi 001.jpg
    koi 001.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 356

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hi kurtfilm and welcome to the pond forum .You must be the luckiest person around that it did not burn out .They have float switches but not sure you can use it and they have a plug in device to add to where you plug in your pump to cut the electric ,( it may be a hard wired part not sure )when it overheats ,I think it's used mostly for swimming pool pumps.I'm surprised you circuit breaker did not trip though,I would check your gfi and see if it is wired right ,it should have overheated and cut the power , I would think after that length of time it should have .Could have caused a fire in you breaker panel if somethings not working right . 8 hours is a lot of time .You sure don't want it to happen again

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome,
welcomebirdsvg.gif

My honey says an electrician can set you up, it is a electrical starter that you are looking for. You could go to a electrical supply house and they may be able to help you out.

Reaction score
I got some pretty damn cheap pumps from "superfish" but they have a overheat protection. If they run dry and too hot, they will automatically shut down and try again after 20 minutes or so of cooling down. Perhaps your pump has a similar fail safe, if not, it might be worth putting on your shopping list next time you buy a pump.

Its kind of hard to look at your diagram, so Im not sure where you should put it, but there are level switches ( if needed with a relay) you could use to turn the pump off if there isnt enough water at the switch.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
kurtfilm said:
Last week, while we were out of town, the power went out. When it resumed, my pump to my koi pond failed to re-prime, and pumped for 8 hours dry until I had a neighbor unplug it.

Miraculously, the pump survived, though I've been told the pump should have only lasted 30- min.

Anyway, I have installed a new check valve -- I think the old one was sticking -- to try to ensure that the pump stays primed in the event of an outage. But..

..as a backup in future, I do NOT want the pump to come back on when power resumes. Can anyone please advise what to buy to make this happen? I believe I want a magnetic starter relay, but I have google this and cannot figure out what to actually buy.

Specs on pump are as follows:

3,897 max gph, 3,500 gph @ 5', ± 1.3 amps, ± 143 watts

Also, if anyone can look at my diagram, and advise on how to keep pump primed through a power outage, I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

Kurt

I can't see where you have your check valve at, but if you have right before the water enters the pump and your pump shuts down this should keep water in the line so that when the pump starts back up it is primed.

Reaction score
What you can use is a "drop out relay" the only problem is that on a momentary power interruption it will need to be reset unless you incorporate a timer within the circuit. If you need I can walk you through putting all this together.

Reaction score
A magnetic starter relay will work for this make sure that it is NEMA rated and has a 120 volt coil and 20 amp or greater contacts although you will only need one set of NO (normally open) contacts to run your hot (black) wire across the actual relay will probably have 2 or more sets of contacts. If you can't find a NEMA (outdoor) relay you could house it in a small plastic tool box that you buy at Lowe's or Home Depot for $5. Just mount the box up off the ground with the snap shut lid facing out, not up. You will need to drill a 1/2" or 3/4" hole in the bottom and use a 1/2" or 3/4" strain relief to pass your electrical cord/cords through. If you see something on the internet but are not sure post it here and we can give you an opinion on it.

Reaction score
Correction to prior post I meant to say "NEMA 4X" which means it is water and corrosion resistant and is suitable for outdoor installations or other locations where it may get wet or be subject to high humidity.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hi old marine long time no see hows the new job going and how is that absolutly cute attack dog mr buttons.no new pics I see of your pond huh

Ask a Question