Deanna in Gig Harbor

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Deanna Schwaiger, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Deanna Schwaiger

Deanna Schwaiger

I have an I can do it attitude so 18 years ago my 14 year old daughter and I dug a pond, put some old carpet down, a 20 year liner etc.. and found a book that told us a tote some lava rock and a pond pump is all we needed. This worked quite well for 17 years . The liner failed last year , the Koi we got 15 years ago at 3" now 18-20" , 11 of them had to be moved to the pond we were making as our second pond not seasoned yet and a bit smaller. first pond was 14 x16 3ft deep with a 2x2 x2 upper pond with a stream to the main pond. new pond is 14 x14 waterfall not done. we lost 5 0f our big koi since moving them first due to injury as it was within a week . The others gradually over 6 months, the largest measured 26" 14# I'm sick about it but I assume I just had beginners luck with the other pond we never had any issues we even had baby koi and turtles. I have bought a 40 year liner and a new pump and filter to the tune of about $1,000 to revamp the old pond which is currently empty. the 5 koi I have left seem OK they are in the pond with the lava rock filter and 4 large aerating rocks with a lot of floating plants. I have 2 wild frogs that seem to like the pond and the plants have tiny worms. Would love to hear any thoughts or suggestions!

Deanna Schwaiger, Aug 18, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Deanna Schwaiger

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Could you post some photos?
    More importantly, do YOU have any questions?

Meyer Jordan, Aug 18, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. Deanna Schwaiger

MitchM

Welcome!
    If you're wondering why you lost your fish, it may have been because you placed them in a pond "not seasoned yet" as you mentioned.
    The fish may have had their gills damaged from ammonia poisoning and struggled to survive as a result.

MitchM, Aug 18, 2017
  4. Deanna Schwaiger

Nyboy

Sorry after 15 years they must have been like part of your family. Hard to lose a pet that has been with us so long.

Nyboy, Aug 18, 2017
  5. Deanna Schwaiger

IPA

63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
    Welcome, so sorry to hear about your fish. There are many knowledgeable and helpful folks here and think you have come to the right place.

IPA, Aug 18, 2017
  6. Deanna Schwaiger

Lisak1

Welcome to the GPF...sorry to hear about your fish deaths. Sometimes I think smaller fish handle change much better than the big, old ones. Much like humans, right? The sheer size alone means they can easily injure themselves while you are trying to catch and transfer them. And as @MitchM noted, your pond probably wasn't ready for fish yet. But we all learn from our experiences, both good and bad.

So tell us again what you're planning - you built a new pond? Or you are revamping your old pond? Or is it both? You will end up with two ponds? I was a little confused by that part. And if you have pictures, WE LOVE PICTURES!

Lisak1, Aug 18, 2017
  7. Deanna Schwaiger

Gemma

Welcome to GP! :)

Gemma, Aug 18, 2017
  8. Deanna Schwaiger

sissy sissy

Welcome and I found the best way to move fish is with window screening .2 people one on each end throw a tiny bit of food in the window screening in the pond and try to only get one pig in the window screening lift out and move them .You should have transferred some of your old pond water into the new pond and some lava rock from your filter would have helped new filter .

sissy, Aug 18, 2017
  9. Deanna Schwaiger

Deanna Schwaiger

thank you for your input. I will have two ponds when I'm done revamping the old one . what is the best way to season the newly filled pond ? Does the cement holding the rocks around the edge of the pond cause problems for the fish if it gets in the water ?

Deanna Schwaiger, Aug 18, 2017
  10. Deanna Schwaiger

Lisak1

You can do several things - you can use some of the water from the old pond. You can use some material from your filter and move it to the new filter. (Lava rocks in the new pond filter, too? I don't remember if you said.) Some people introduce fish that they don't intend to keep - almost sacrificial! - or that they keep if they survive to get the cycle going. If you read @MitchM signature, he has a link to a method that cycles a pond by using ammonia.

The cement shouldn't hurt your fish - we're talking a small amount, I'm assuming. Cured cement?

Lisak1, Aug 18, 2017
  11. Deanna Schwaiger

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Time,

Depends on size of pond and the amount of unsealed concrete exposed to the water, but usually will not cause any issues.

Meyer Jordan, Aug 18, 2017
  12. Deanna Schwaiger

j.w I Love my Goldies

j.w, Aug 18, 2017
  13. Deanna Schwaiger

MitchM

Make sure to measure ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels using a liquid test kit such as this one from API:
    http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=670#.WZc_aa0ZNYc
    Once the ammonia and nitrite levels have risen and fallen back down to zero, you can safely add fish.
    In addition, pick up a GH/KH test kit from API so you can ensure you maintain a stable PH level.

Adding a certain amount of pure ammonia will speed up the process.
    You can use this calculator for that:
    http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

MitchM, Aug 18, 2017
  14. Deanna Schwaiger

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Welcome to our group! Sorry you loss your fish, but survivors will love their new pond

addy1, Aug 18, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question