Deanna in Gig Harbor

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have an I can do it attitude so 18 years ago my 14 year old daughter and I dug a pond, put some old carpet down, a 20 year liner etc.. and found a book that told us a tote some lava rock and a pond pump is all we needed. This worked quite well for 17 years . The liner failed last year , the Koi we got 15 years ago at 3" now 18-20" , 11 of them had to be moved to the pond we were making as our second pond not seasoned yet and a bit smaller. first pond was 14 x16 3ft deep with a 2x2 x2 upper pond with a stream to the main pond. new pond is 14 x14 waterfall not done. we lost 5 0f our big koi since moving them first due to injury as it was within a week . The others gradually over 6 months, the largest measured 26" 14# I'm sick about it but I assume I just had beginners luck with the other pond we never had any issues we even had baby koi and turtles. I have bought a 40 year liner and a new pump and filter to the tune of about $1,000 to revamp the old pond which is currently empty. the 5 koi I have left seem OK they are in the pond with the lava rock filter and 4 large aerating rocks with a lot of floating plants. I have 2 wild frogs that seem to like the pond and the plants have tiny worms. Would love to hear any thoughts or suggestions!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome!
If you're wondering why you lost your fish, it may have been because you placed them in a pond "not seasoned yet" as you mentioned.
The fish may have had their gills damaged from ammonia poisoning and struggled to survive as a result.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry after 15 years they must have been like part of your family. Hard to lose a pet that has been with us so long.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the GPF...sorry to hear about your fish deaths. Sometimes I think smaller fish handle change much better than the big, old ones. Much like humans, right? The sheer size alone means they can easily injure themselves while you are trying to catch and transfer them. And as @MitchM noted, your pond probably wasn't ready for fish yet. But we all learn from our experiences, both good and bad.

So tell us again what you're planning - you built a new pond? Or you are revamping your old pond? Or is it both? You will end up with two ponds? I was a little confused by that part. And if you have pictures, WE LOVE PICTURES!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and I found the best way to move fish is with window screening .2 people one on each end throw a tiny bit of food in the window screening in the pond and try to only get one pig in the window screening lift out and move them .You should have transferred some of your old pond water into the new pond and some lava rock from your filter would have helped new filter .

Reaction score
Country
United States
thank you for your input. I will have two ponds when I'm done revamping the old one . what is the best way to season the newly filled pond ? Does the cement holding the rocks around the edge of the pond cause problems for the fish if it gets in the water ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
what is the best way to season the newly filled pond

You can do several things - you can use some of the water from the old pond. You can use some material from your filter and move it to the new filter. (Lava rocks in the new pond filter, too? I don't remember if you said.) Some people introduce fish that they don't intend to keep - almost sacrificial! - or that they keep if they survive to get the cycle going. If you read @MitchM signature, he has a link to a method that cycles a pond by using ammonia.

The cement shouldn't hurt your fish - we're talking a small amount, I'm assuming. Cured cement?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
thank you for your input. I will have two ponds when I'm done revamping the old one . what is the best way to season the newly filled pond ?

Time,

Does the cement holding the rocks around the edge of the pond cause problems for the fish if it gets in the water ?

Depends on size of pond and the amount of unsealed concrete exposed to the water, but usually will not cause any issues.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2017-8-18_12-27-59.gif
neighbor @Deanna Schwaiger

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Make sure to measure ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels using a liquid test kit such as this one from API:
http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=670#.WZc_aa0ZNYc
Once the ammonia and nitrite levels have risen and fallen back down to zero, you can safely add fish.
In addition, pick up a GH/KH test kit from API so you can ensure you maintain a stable PH level.

Adding a certain amount of pure ammonia will speed up the process.
You can use this calculator for that:
http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! Sorry you loss your fish, but survivors will love their new pond

Ask a Question