dechlorinator - how much to add to pond

Reaction score
hi,
i need to add some new city water to the pond.
probably about 500 gallons needed...
i have aquasafe for pond - i will be using it - dont want to drip irrigate the water into the pond.
do i need to add just enoiugh of the aquasafe to cover the 500 gallons?
or add to cover the entire pond volume?
thanks!
:)

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I always add enough to cover amount of water added as the pond water has no chlorine. It doesn't hurt to add a little extra in case calculations are off.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
hi,
i have aquasafe for pond - i will be using it - dont want to drip irrigate the water into the pond.
thanks!

Not for sure if you are using the " Plus " version or the original Aquasafe product. Here are the instructions for the " Plus " version from Dr. Foster and Smith website and here are the instructions for the original TetraPond AquaSafe Pond water condition.

Dosage: New ponds or whenever adding tap water 10 ml for every 50 gallons of tap water. (use top of supplied screw cap). 1/4 cup (60 ml) for every 300 gallons of pond water. (Dedicate use of measuring cup to pond water treatments only)

If chlorine levels in your tap water are high enough that you can smell the chlorine, use double the normal dosage. For outdoor ornamental ponds only. Keep out of the reach of children.

So, personally, it sounds like the product is guessing since the dechlorinator dosage depends on chlorine volume yet they do not give any specifics. I would dose a little more than what they recommend.

Dechlorinators only detoxify the chlorine that is present in the water and, no matter how much you dose, dechlorinators have a short shelf life so there is not residual. The shelf life, or the time that is active while in water, is around a couple to 3 days.

The professional dechlorinator products, which are actually not expensive and some are cheaper than Tetra's Aquasafe, actually dose according to the chlorine or chloramine concentration in the water, which can be found out with a chlorine/chloramine pool test kit. So, there is no "general" dosage for everyone. If you want to look more into this, then here are a couple posts that might be interesting to you: 1) post#17 in thread "adding water" ; 2) post#12 in thread "really bad City water" .

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
To
hi,

thanks!

To answer your question, I would add enough to cover the 500 gallons and then a little bit more.

Reaction score
thanks everyone - i saw lisak1's message and did exactly that - added enough to cover the added volume only.
I did it slowly too - to get a proper gauge on how much the level was raised - ended up only adding 350 gallons - did 5 gallon tubs at a time ...adding enough aquasafe for just that 5 galllons.
it seems to have worked out OK - warm day -
i added some extra aeration yesterday as i have an ongoing algae bloom also.
the fish are loving the extra level - added about 3 to 4 inches to the level and they are finding all sorts of new wall algae to eat and now the lilys are properly submerged such that the koi are having enough water to get in above and root around :)
its all good- i dont mind so much so long as they are happy and healthy.
just have to deal with the algae blooms - they occur with floating clumps in the afternoon on sunny days, so added the aeration like i said - we will feed less too and added a bunch more of the hornwort also.

thanks again for everyones input!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
jmajid my friend why waste money on buying dechorinator all the time , the liquid it has been proven takes time to mix in the pond which means your fish can still be swimming in chlorinated water doing damage to their gills for quie a while.
Instead why not invest in a dechlorination unit wich themselves are relitively cheap to buy , our own cost as little as £39.95 uk and the replacement cartridges retail at around £5.00 uk or so.
This is the unit that we use it removes upwards of 10,000 gallons before the cartridges need replacing so in acctual fact your in a win win situation plus you never need to use the liquid dechlorinator again ever.
You have that peace of mind that every drop of water passing through the unit is stripped of chlorinated water and thus no damage is being done to your fishes gills :-

http://www.vyair.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=68

Better still I know for a fact you can buy them in the US (y)

Dave :)

Last edited:

Ask a Question