addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
These lucky little ones are now inside for the winter, 1-3 inch in size. The deck pond is shallow, no insulation, it did not freeze last winter, our warm winter, but who knows what will happen this winter. The trap door snails are heading for the big pond, a few are being brought inside. I found a ton of them all sizes in the deck pond. Had to drain it down to catch these fast little guys.

A few may get moved to the big pond if we decide the tank is too full (before it gets real cold) There is one sarrassa comet, it will be heading for the big pond.

DSC04565.jpg

DSC04564.jpg

DSC04567-1.jpg

DSC04562.jpg

DSC04558.jpg

DSC04556.jpg

DSC04555.jpg

DSC04554.jpg

DSC04552.jpg

DSC04550.jpg

Reaction score
Very pretty. I love the variety. Your shubbies are very different then ours in colors... Hope to find some like them next year.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Most of them are from petsmart, babies picked up over summer, they were about an inch in size when put in the deck pond. Some are fry I found in our preform pond (the smallest ones). I love all the colors.

The tank is bare bottom, just some kitty litter scattered from them eating the anacharis I put in for them (they ate it all, I have some in a different pot for the future!)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
They are very pretty colors addy and look like they are happy in there. Wonder how big they will be when Spring comes from being fed all winter?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
there some really nice shubbies in there! I was hoping to see a better pic the yellow colored one that's in two pics,(both blurry) never seen one like that!
If you start getting to many trap door snails I would be interested in taking some off your hands.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
there some really nice shubbies in there! I was hoping to see a better pic the yellow colored one that's in two pics,(both blurry) never seen one like that!
If you start getting to many trap door snails I would be interested in taking some off your hands.

I will get a better picture of the yellow one, it is really different. Fast moving sucker.

I started with two trap doors in the deck pond, now have around 100, no clue on how many in the big pond, I can see them all over the bottom on the camera view. I have not netted the big pond this summer, no need to, very little debris on the bottom. Waiting for leaf fall to be done with before I do a fall clean up. When I clean I sort very carefully for them, the little ones are tiny! I put the debris in a large bucket so if I miss a snail it comes to the top for me to save it lol

Leave areas of the pond untouched so they have plenty of food. The deck pond snails need to be moved just in case we have a bad winter, putting some in the house tank, the deck pond will freeze solid.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I picked up 100 last summer, early summer. Put a bunch in the big pond, two in each little pond. For doing live births they produce a bunch of babies. I would need to count the number in the deck pond to figure out how many were produced over summer.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy, I like your shubs too. Is the lemon yellow one a comet?

The larger yellowish one was from the shubunkin tank at petsmart, my guess is it is a shubbie. The tiny yellow with black was a fry from the preform.

Here is a short video, easier to get a decent shot then stills. Taken though the side of the tank.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You have some very nice looking fish in there addy and they look healthy and active. The yellow ones are unusual looking. Never seen a Shubbie that was yellow before. I like!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It was paler, has gotten darker with time and good food lol

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

Keep me in mind, too! ;)

I like the "yellow" one as well, Shubie or not. I look for yellow or golden fish all the time for variety, as the majority of mine are deep orange -- pretty, but makes for a boring, monochromatic pond. Your babies seem to have nice shapes and pretty fins, as well as pretty colors.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a few pure yellows in the pond. they sure do glow. No clue what combination created them. Also some pure white, that are getting some great fins.

Ask a Question