deep pond plants

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Waterlillies, hornwort, any of the brush-like "oxygenators", and any floaters.
John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You looking for tall ones? You could put in reed plants in pots sitting on plastic crates or Iris, Canna lilies, Cat tails, Umbrella palms,Papyrus, Rush,Water Hibiscus, in Florida you have so many choices cuz you are nice and warm all the time. Just google tall plants for a pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
4 leaf clover, snowflake lilies. Would need to be on a crate.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh no that's another story if you have koi...............they will eat anything w/ roots! If you have them in a pot and on a crate how can they eat them? If you don't then you need to or it's a no go w/ any plants and your floaters will need to be in a floating ring w/a net bottom to keep them safe.

JustJack

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I live in the Panhandle and I have ponds about 4' deep. I have cattails and papyrus growing in the catfish pond and papyrus and pickerel weed in the koi pond. The papyrus grows and spreads really fast and can be invasive in Florida, but it's easy to pull out the babies. I started it in one of those little plastic pond baskets to keep the koi from eating the roots and it's huge now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I have a lot of creeping jenny around the edge of the pond, and now that it is growing down into the water, the koi stay busy munching on that and seem to be leaving my other plants alone. Last year I couldn't hardly get anything to grow because they ate it all off! I guess they like the taste of the jenny, though, so maybe this year I can get some hornwort or some grasses growing down in the bottom of my pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hmmmmmm, never noticed if my goldies like to eat mine. Will have to watch more closely. I don't mind as there is plenty of that stuff.

Ask a Question