j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
What kind did you use and how much did you put in? What did you put it in? I have 6 pots of water lilies w/ kitty litter in them and they are not clouding the water at all and I didn't even rinse them off,never do. I have other plants potted in it also. Also have a big sock w/ the litter under my falls and at first for a few minutes it put a cloudy mass into the water but dissipated really quick. Something weird going on in your pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Now I went back and looked at your cloudy pond photo and am wondering if your koi are playing in the kitty litter like it was a sandbox and stirring it up all the time. If so can you put some big rocks around the top of the kitty litter in the plant pots to stop them from doing that if that's what's happening? I only have goldfish and they don't do that or if they do they aren't big enough to make a mess like the big koi do.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bet it is the koi, I have over 20 pots with kitty litter, I have never rinsed it, no cloudy water issues. But my goldies don't bother the plants or litter.

Reaction score
I used the kitty litter from walmart like you said.I only had about 4 pots.Since them I have removed all the pots and all the floating plants.The only thing I can think of is there is still some litter on the bottom but cant see were it is..I hate to have to take all the fish out and drain the whole thing down and start over with fresh water

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have heard of people using this stuff to clear cloudy water:

From the net:
If your problem continues, you can try using a flocculant, such as Eco-Floc or something similar, which binds suspended particles together so that the filters can catch them.

Water Flocculant

EcoFloc™ clears pond water by combining suspended particulate via a process commonly known as flocculation. Combined particulates are easily removed. It is a 100% safe and natural product, that will not harm fish, plants, or wildlife.

ecofloc.jpg

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Sounds like you may not have placed enough large rocks over the kitty littler and the koi are digging. The good news is it is 100% safe and healthy for the koi. I also believe you may have had some spawning taking place and that would have been perfect scenerio for them do there thing. Do not take the fish out and clean the pond, that is the worse thing you can do. Filter your water through fine matala material, batting material, or something similar. If you can vacumn the bottom a little at a time that too will help but don't try removing it all at once. leave all the floating plants in as long as possible (Until the koi eat them) you have some large koi and crowded for the size pond. My biggest suggestion would be consider building a bog so your plants will survive and still help clear the water. then start finding vegtables and fruit to feed the hungry guys. NO SEEDS, pretty much any other fruit or veggie can be fed. Watermelon, lettuce, greens, shelled peas, cucumber, squash. the list is endless. Some will be liked some will not. What they like in the spring may be different in the summer. Mine also like duckweed, i raise it in a tub and give them a hand full every once in a while. Keeping plants in a koi pond is possible, But you will have to make some adjustment to keep them out of the pots, either a cage or rough rocks on top of the planting media is a minimal to try with large koi.

Reaction score
I took the plants out and now I am using a skimmer basket with a filter plus my regular uv filter to try and clear it up.So you think I should put the plants back in

Reaction score
mountaindew, sorry to hear and see of your cloudy water. i think the other members that have posted are correct in that your koi are digging. i just planted a pot with a lotus i started from seed with just dirt and a little potting soil but did put some pond rocks on top after i added water and got all the air bubbles out. i had just a little bit of cloudiness when i placed in the pond but nothing more than that.. my issue is suspended algae from pond being in direct sunlight most of the day. try using batting to clear up water and figure your pond will be clear again, don't think you need to get rid of plants but if you feel better switch to just dirt and put enough rocks to cover the soil and maybe a few more so koi can't dig

Reaction score
hang in there, i have been and felt the same way at times, water not clearing up quickly and worried i may be doing harm to fish by not being able to see to bottom. you could try and use a net to see if you get anything, but remember they said kitty litter is not harmful to the fish.. did you try using batting in skimmer or if you can put some in a basket under falls.. batting will capture those fine particles

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
it does take time and patience, glad it is getting better little by little

Ask a Question