Deep rooted plant

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Not necessarily, for example irises have pretty deep roots and don’t get really large, at least to me. Cannas root systems aren’t super deep and they can get very tall, but these also don’t carry a lot of weight with them. Generally speaking though that is usually the reason for large deep root systems to hold the plant upright.

Are you looking for a large plant for your pond? or something with a large root system?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Not necessarily, for example irises have pretty deep roots and don’t get really large, at least to me. Cannas root systems aren’t super deep and they can get very tall, but these also don’t carry a lot of weight with them. Generally speaking though that is usually the reason for large deep root systems to hold the plant upright.

Are you looking for a large plant for your pond? or something with a large root system?
Both.
I will have at least 2' of free space below the bio filter.(up flow) and no grid work of leach field type piping beneath the filter. Bio filter will be at least 1' of pea gravel. Total radius might be 16-18 feet. So I have an unlimited option of planting as long as they can withstand a zone 6 winter. My pump "SHOULD " run 24-7-365. I'll give it a break on leep year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The roots of plants are all different - for example, an iris is really a clump of tubers that can form a very large, heavy mass but the actual roots are rather small. I've found most marginals tend to send out long roots, rather than deep roots as they need the lateral support more than the vertical to stay upright in marshy areas. Some reeds and grasses send deeper roots - like a papyrus will have a deep, massive root system.

Ask a Question