j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You can use a plastic milk crate, black color would be preferred so as not to show up in the pond as much. Set shorter plants on them if you like. You are in a warmer climate so you have many choices for nice plants. Do a search on line for pond plants and you will see a bunch you might like and then you can ask us if they are any good. I like to set Sedge plants on a crate or whatever as they grow well in water and on land too and they suck up lots of gunk from the water to use to fertilize them.

Just get one Sedge if you have room for it. They are quite pretty. This one is called Ice Dance.

1586901834002.png

I have a different kind of Sedge along side my pond below growing in between the rocks w/its feet in the water:

IMG_8592.JPG

And another kind growing in a pot sitting on top of an upside down clay pot:

IMG_9314.JPG

Sweet Flag will also grow like the above plant but it can really get thick and heavy so watch it and don't let it get too huge before you need to divide it up or you will have a heck of a time getting it out.

IMG_3908.JPG

I stuck some in a stainless bowl on top of my water fall and it grew there like crazy too:

IMG_4136.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Water Hawthorn is nice as it blooms when the weather is cooler, not in Summer. I had it here but it just disappeared after awhile. It did send many seeds out into the water and they sprouted and I should have captured some and planted them so I would have had plenty more. The blooms are not very big tho. It might do well for you but yes it is expensive.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i have one growing, slowly, gave two blooms this year. Has 4 leaves, planted it in 2018

A lot cheaper here, three plants for $28

Ask a Question