deformed Koi

Reaction score
We were at the LFS yesterday and saw what i think was a deformed Koi...
it had a tail that had a 90 degree angle to it - straight up.
also my wife said she thought the mouth was open on one half of the head and and able to close on the other half.
So i know this might be controversial for some... but should i take him/her in and keep it in a tank ?
Its about 2.5 to 3 inches in length - im pretty sure that he is "healthy" other than these things that are mentioned above
whats the thought?
It did look like it was able to feed - was slower at swimming though - so may not be best for the pond - but what about a tank?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen this before jmajid sadly there is nothing you can do for it eventually it wll no longer be able to swim so the kindest is to euthanise .
I'm 95% sure its to do with genetics but it could also indicate that it hasnt had good food and is vitamin deficient but either way it will never straighten out
Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings it may last a while in a tank yes but it'd be a kindness to euthanize as I said

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Further my last if thiis koi was larger it could indicate the pond it was in had taken a lightening strike .
In larger koi it can also indicate malnutrition electric shock , an over dose of medication easpecially if its organophosphate based.
Orfe can also suffer this bending of the spine.

Dave

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I may catch hell for this, but here goes. That fish is severely deformed, and should never have made it as far as that pet shop. Hopefully the owner will remove it and euthanize it. DO NOT waste time, money and effort trying to keep this fish alive, there are lots of fish out there that will repay your efforts with their beauty, but this is not one of them!
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
No John I think everyone would agree with us both over this my friend
It shows that someone isnt culling properly at fry stage and to me it reflects badly on that Petshop.

Dave

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Dave; I spent several years on a pigeon forum, where the mere mention of euthanasia or culling would get you a stern reprimand or banishment! Even a question about killing mice or rats would draw the ire of many members. And I realize that Britain has laws to ensure all "pets" are well treated, even spiders and such, so I hesitate to advise anyone to kill an animal, but there ARE exceptions to the rule, and this is one of them!
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave; I spent several years on a pigeon forum, where the mere mention of euthanasia or culling would get you a stern reprimand or banishment! Even a question about killing mice or rats would draw the ire of many members. And I realize that Britain has laws to ensure all "pets" are well treated, even spiders and such, so I hesitate to advise anyone to kill an animal, but there ARE exceptions to the rule, and this is one of them!
John
John under the new animal welfare laws we have to make sure our pets get the best treatment possible but there is no grey area when it comes to euthanizing fish as long as it is done humanely .
Sad thing is that many people dont know the first thing about fish, the fish shops have books but dont have a duty to sell them to the person buying their fish sadly thats up to them to buy them and learn, if books had to be bought many more fish would live long and happy lives , but they seem to be a throwaway commodity to many peolpe and its a loop hole that should be plugged
Thankfully my mentor was formerly head of the BKKS health forum and over saw much of what I do treatment wise .
It's got to the stage now where he lets me choose the treatment which I admire him for .
The rest of what I know cmes from our extensive fish health and fish disease library and its important that we update this library as we go along to keep abreast of new treatments and ideas.
My Anesthesia of choice is MS222 which is quick and clean in what it does both in treatment of koi and euthanazia of koi .
We have to face facts that from time to time we have to do this sadly and I doubt any RSPCA officer would have any problem in the welfare and treatment of our koi

Dave

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Depending on it's cost, I would buy it, take it home, then humanely euthanize it. You could mention to the LFS that you feel it it is deformed and suggest they take care of it, but if they have it for sale in this condition I doubt they would listen to you.

Reaction score
Hi all - sorry i didnt get back to anyone - i didnt get ANY notifications of replies, and i was a little busy this weekend since we had soo much nice weather - it was up into 76degF / 24degC! So, obviously we spent the long weekend outside in the yard - cleaning up the trees and watching the fish.
Update -
Since i thought i didnt have any replies, i went to the LFS and offered to buy it.
They in turn offered the fish to me free of charge... I have it at home now in my QT - its doing well... eating and swimming quite well.
I understand everyones point of view about euthanasia - but for now i will keep this koi in my QT and see how it does.
I dont know if it will ever make to the pond - either the main or the nursery cage we have setup now - but i plan to keep a close eye on it.
I agree that the dealers/LFS have a problem with their fish selection process... but for now this fish will be at home.
I dont expect the deformed tail or mouth to recover; it seems to be quite happy - so why not let it be?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think it's great that you want to give a home to this fish. I hope he/she does well in your care :)

I have a big telescope eye goldfish that I "adopted" from a store because she was missing an eye (they would not sell her that way) I have had her for three years now and she is one of my favorite fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - sorry i didnt get back to anyone - i didnt get ANY notifications of replies, and i was a little busy this weekend since we had soo much nice weather - it was up into 76degF / 24degC! So, obviously we spent the long weekend outside in the yard - cleaning up the trees and watching the fish.
Update -
Since i thought i didnt have any replies, i went to the LFS and offered to buy it.
They in turn offered the fish to me free of charge... I have it at home now in my QT - its doing well... eating and swimming quite well.
I understand everyones point of view about euthanasia - but for now i will keep this koi in my QT and see how it does.
I dont know if it will ever make to the pond - either the main or the nursery cage we have setup now - but i plan to keep a close eye on it.
I agree that the dealers/LFS have a problem with their fish selection process... but for now this fish will be at home.
I dont expect the deformed tail or mouth to recover; it seems to be quite happy - so why not let it be?
jmajid as long as its quality iof life isnt effected then thats fine by us , however if the koi's quality of life goes down hill then please euthanize it atraiight away because all you would be doing is prolonging its agony :(

Dave;)

Ask a Question