Depth for wintering pond

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi, I have an existing 10 year old pond about 8 by 6 by 36" deep, the pond is beside our pool and we have to redo all the cement etc around it, I was wondering if they make a pond insert that would be okay for the koi to stay in over the winter, I have a ring heater that we have used for the winters here in Kingston Ontario. This renovation of the pool will cause me to have to redo the pond. Any ideas or suggestion would be great. Right now I have about 8 or 10 nice pond plants and about 12 or more koi of various ages

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi, I have an existing 10 year old pond about 8 by 6 by 36" deep, the pond is beside our pool and we have to redo all the cement etc around it, I was wondering if they make a pond insert that would be okay for the koi to stay in over the winter, I have a ring heater that we have used for the winters here in Kingston Ontario. This renovation of the pool will cause me to have to redo the pond. Any ideas or suggestion would be great. Right now I have about 8 or 10 nice pond plants and about 12 or more koi of various ages
if you can, get all the work done BEFORE winter and when the moment comes to actually move the fish (wait until the last moment), then use a cheap intek pool. Check online. I got one that is 1000 gallons for about $125. Take the old water and put it in the intek pool so you don't add any unnecessary stress and you can put it all back after you get your concrete fixed/taken care of. You could do this even up to your water icing over but if you keep after the pool guys, it should work out. Can't imagine your fix lasting past December, can it?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
parts are hard to get so they may only get all the concert up and out, where did you get you 1000 gallon one, hope they are available in Ontario

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I went on line but couldn't find it. lots of places listed it but when I went to their website couldn't find it, I will phone a couple tomorrow thanks

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks Brokensword I was mistaken when looking, I was searching for one of those black preformed ponds, I will keep searching, they are out there just need to find a company in or near Kingston Ontario

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You would need to keep the Intex pool from freezing. If it gets ice on it, it will split.

I bought a few from eBay with free shipping, ones with damaged boxes. They were less than half the price of the ones in perfect boxes, and everything inside was brand new, and in pristine condition. Just a tear to the boxes that had been taped closed.

We cover ours with a pvc frame then wrap that with a couple of sheets of heavy plastic to make a greenhouse type structure. We are in zone 6 so probably not as cold as you are, but it works here to keep ice off the pool.

If you have a garage or other indoor heated space, lots of people take their fish indoors for winter and use those pools. You would need some lights and filtration for keeping them indoors.

Ask a Question