Depth of pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Down to minus 5 deg celsius on rate occasions
Country
United Kingdom
How deep would i have to go at the deepest part to keep koi, i was looking at 3 feet is that enough

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
3' is deep enough, depends more on hardiness zone and what you want the pond to be, a DKP, Eco pond, hybrid. Although, I would probably go to at least 3.5 ft deep, but that is me I like the look of deep ponds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The basic idea is you need volume and surface area to be commensurate with the number of fish/filtering. The more koi you want, the higher the numbers. And the hardiness zone (as mentioned above) should determine how deep you go. I recommend as deep as the frost level of your area. Not that you can't go a bit shallower but its worth the extra depth as it gives you more security for those freak years when the ice hits record level. If you don't get ice, depth doesn't matter much re winterization. Koi get large, so plan on that happening.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Depth should always be a function of total surface area if one is to expect to provide a habitat that will function with a minimum of external influences.
Do you know what the proposed surface area of your pond will be?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
What surface dimensions are you thinking of and how many Koi do you plan to start out with? Go as deep as you can, much easier to dig deep now than wish you had later on.

Find it interesting that in the US there are these fencing off ponds of 2 ft or more rules that
apply despite the fact that a child can drown in what can technically be described as a puddle of say a mere 2inches of water depth. Most older properties over here have gated boundary walls, fences or hedges, but nowadays the modern estates are often open plan. I don't know what's the norm in the US. There are no such rules governing fenced off private garden or even public ponds of any depth in place here in the U.K. as far as I'm aware.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Find it interesting that in the US there are these fencing off ponds of 2 ft or more rules that
apply despite the fact that a child can drown in what can technically be described as a puddle of say a mere 2inches of water depth. Most older properties over here have gated boundary walls, fences or hedges, but nowadays the modern estates are often open plan. I don't know what's the norm in the US. There are no such rules governing fenced off private garden or even public ponds of any depth in place here in the U.K. as far as I'm aware.

Common sense isn't what it used to be here (actually, I'm doubting it exists much anymore at all); the gov has to over-regulate just about everything now because people take even less responsibility than they used to. Not to mention the $$ it brings in (to the government). I mean, used to be we could ride bicycles without helmets and not worry about it. Guess that's when cyclers DIDN'T drive where cars drove and motorists weren't paying so much attention to their phones.

Being a bit sarcastic but there's a lot of truth there too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very interesting point, none of the ponds in public parks are fenced no matter how deep. At least here in NY

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
The size of the pond is 12 foot x 6 foot. We can get cold weather here but it would never freeze more than an inch, it might not even freeze over

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I have hit another problem, i am down to clay and water seeps into the pond and does not drain away it is only a trickle . Do i need a soak away or will the pond liner when full of water do the job, thanks gary

Ask a Question