addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
From grass to plants and water in arizona, the critters moved in! Goodbye grass! The green grass picture, is how the yard looked when we bought the place. A one acre lot of grass.

It rained a lot one year, we had a bob-cat and started to dig a hole in the ground, the pond was born. No real plans, but I did a lot of research on the net as to the best way to build it.

The pond was edged with flagstone and a flat stone that came from Arkansas. The stream was edged with flagstone that blended better with the crushed granite of the yard. My husband, at that time, liked defined edges.

The stream has a slab of flagstone for the bridge. That sucker was heavy to move.

Right after we bought the house, the first water bill was $349.00 trying to get the grass green.
It only took about 4 years to finally finish the yard, then of course life took over and I am now in Maryland.
(my husband passed, I then met and married a maryland guy)

Critter pictures to follow

Attachments

• DSCN0073.JPG
    DSCN0073.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 454
  • Img_1153z.jpg
    Img_1153z.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 538
  • P1013608em.jpg
    P1013608em.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 540
  • Img_1816.jpg
    Img_1816.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 525
  • DSC00565.jpg
    DSC00565.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 547

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
the arizona pond loving critters

the mallard had around 17 ducklings. The quail had peeps in the yard every year.
Misc rabbits hopped through. The bird was confused, trying to fish out of the swimming pool! The great horned owl would come every evening to cool off and get a drink in the stream.

The worse thing that happened was a coyote decided to cool off in the stream during one horrible hot dry year. They would walk the block wall between houses and jump down into the yards. He ended up taking one of my yorkies.

The fish had a 4-5 foot deep pond to hide in.

Attachments

• bird1.jpg
    bird1.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 344
  • ducks.jpg
    ducks.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 334
  • owl.jpg
    owl.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 413
  • quail7.jpg
    quail7.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 358
  • bird3.jpg
    bird3.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 376
Reaction score
i had to look up pictures of your pond and wow i must say it is amazing, i absolutely love the stream and that neat bridge and all that wildlife, and i had a little laugh at the confused bird fishing in the swimming pool lol. and you water is actually really clear with a really nice algae carpet on the bottom...hopefully by the end of may i will have mine set up and ready to go and i will post pictures on here, pretty soon im going to have to look you up on that liner tape offer

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks talal, I miss that pond, but sure wish I could sell the house lol, well I could but waiting out the market. That was the summer it was built, still looking great, he sends me pictures off and on.

I hired a professional pond care company, they come twice a month to care for it.

Reaction score
no problem addy and im with marla, it would be really hard to leave it but then again addy left for love:luxlove: so its even more special

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well he could have retired and moved to arizona, or I retire and move to maryland...............hummmmmmmmm guess what I retired lol

He is so worth it!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks talal! I would say this is the happiest I have been, with a man, ever.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Here addy I give you mine and my DH's song from the 60's to enjoy as we have for so many yrs :lol:

[ame]

Ask a Question