Design for pond

Reaction score
will be finished in about a week: 12'x12'x3' for $397 plus hose, fittings and skippy housing (total

Attachments

• pond.JPG
    pond.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 323
Reaction score
If I understand the drawing, you're going to have still water at both ends of the pond, and hence, debris will tend to collect there.

Reaction score
koiguy..., that is the plan. i've taken those ideas from what i've seen on youtube.com.

is the spraybar necessary?
is the bottom return okay? i was thinking to run a bottom and top intake to the pump.

advice from seasoned ponders is appreciated...r

Reaction score
otter, et al.,
where would the two "still spots" be? the pump and two intakes (bottom and top skimmer) will be at furthermost area of pond. the wind even tends to blow towards this area.

please explain. i'll be back at it later today after a long, cool break.

i've about two more feet to dig out. so about half done digging.

r

Attachments

• pond7,19.JPG
    pond7,19.JPG
    223.5 KB · Views: 285

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
an upflow is more efficient and allows the heigth for a waterfall... flush cleaning you dont even get your hands wet. water returns from to pond near the top of filter. pile some rocks around it you dont see it. want a higher water fall use a 55 gallon drum for a lower profile use a stocktank.. check out "my 70 gallon skippy filter" in the diy section.. the 'pond and waterfall redo progress' pix in the photography section for the lower profile stock tank style. and

Reaction score
koiguy, are you using this type of filter?
It seems better if i had intake of pump at lowest point in pond. if i used this, i'd have to run PVC pipe across pond and split to skimmer and also pull off bottom.
what are your ideas?

Gardening

Banned
Reaction score
very beautiful design. Is there all faclities to inlet and outlet of water? In rainy season how to safe the fish?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yes i use this filter.. thats my "my 70 gallon skippy filter" thread low profile easy to hide, for you a 100 or 150 gallon would be good for 3000 gals if your gonna have alot of fish. check out my waterfall in the gallery or the picture threads in photograhy section.
and yes your pump goes in th furthest deepst part of pond from waterfall or return.

Reaction score
"Gardening" - yes there will be a drain, just not sure what side will be the lowest point yet. good thought!
"Koiguy" - cool. i'll look at photo now! i didn't understand what "upflow" meant.

Reaction score
roscogruen said:
otter, et al.,
where would the two "still spots" be?
At the left and right sides of the picture. Maybe I'm not understanding your drawing, but it looks like the water flows across the short axis of the pond, leaving the ends with only eddy currents.

Reaction score
otter, you are right. the pond was not designed well. there will be "dead spots" in the pond. the rain has melted the dirt into the grass and i'm kicking myself for not having better planned this.

Reaction score
Hey. At least you're figuring this out before the pond is complete and full of fish. Things are still fairly easy to fix at this stage. I suggest that you stop digging for now and concentrate on research and planning. I wish the previous owner of my pond had done that. :):banghead3::)

Ask a Question