Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hello everyone. Live in southern Ontario Canada. I've had a fish pond for 12 years same place. One pond is roughly 6'x4'x3' deep with a section 2'x4'x1' deep. The other pond is 14'x6'x2.5 section at deep end 4'sq. this pond has been this way for years. I have 2 good bubblers one for each pond a pump. I have never had a problem with fish dying until now. Started a week ago all the fish are at the top gasping for air. Water test for ammonia tested 0, PH is 7.5 that's all I've tested for. I've have done 6 water changes at about 25 percent each time. Gold fish of all sizes dying. I have one koi about 12" long which doesn't seem to be affected he's acting normal. The died fish look fine can't see anything wrong other then there died. In the winter the most I have lost are 3 fish usually 1 or 2.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome, E Ellis.

Just by appearance, it looks like you have very little surface area and too many fish.
How many fish total?
How deep is that fountain placed that is spraying water?

Also, please answer as many of the following questions that you can and that you haven't already:

Water quality
* Ammonia Level (pond)
* Nitrite Level (pond)
* Ammonia Level (tap water)
* Nitrite Level (tap water)
* Ph Level, pond (If possible, KH, GH and chlorine)
* Ph Level, tap water (If possible, KH, GH and chlorine)
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

Other useful information:
* Water temperature?
* Pond size and how long has it been running?
* What is the name and size of the filter(s)?
* How often do you change the water and how much?
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
* How many fish in the pond and their type?
* What kind of water additives or conditioners have you used?
* What do you feed your fish and how often?
* Any new fish added to the pond recently?
* Any medications added to the pond?
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and pond
* Any unusual findings on the fish?
* Any unusual behaviour like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

If this is an EMERGENCY and your fish are in immediate danger, we encourage you to post ASAP regardless.

If you do not have a test kit, you may be able to take samples of your pond and tap water to your local fish store for testing (which is often free). Please request numerical results rather than generalizations like "OK", "fine", "safe", "acceptable", etc. However since knowing your water quality is important, we suggest you get your own test kit. A drop kit is both more accurate and much less expensive per test than the test strips.

Photos can also be a big help!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
MitchM made a good point.... how many fish are in those ponds. I calculate that you have 359+45+1885 gallons = 2,289.

The pictures show large goldfish in large quantities... Are those floating plants everywhere I see?

PS the garden is gorgeous.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
First of, beautiful pond!!!
I'm so sorry about your fish! I'm guessing that too many fish (big fish) but then you said your ammonia level is fine. So, I think think too many fish and might not have enough oxygen. But i'll wait for other info.

Did you do anything different before the fish died? put in new stuff around the garden? new plants? do you get run off from your garden tot he pond?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I suspect other factors at play here other than typical biochemical parameters, Ammonia has been eliminated already, Oxygen levels would appear to be Okay as only the Goldfish have been affected. The largest fish in the pond, the solitary 12" Koi is unaffected. Oxygen deprivation always affects larger fish first.
Even though I know that this is not likely, have any new Goldfish been added recently? Have the Goldfish exhibited any unusual behavior? Did the dead fish show any patches of discoloration?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
could be a lack of oxygen as plants use up a lot of oxygen .Do you know what the temperature of the water is .Could something have gotten in the pond like chemicals blowing in the wind .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
3 years ago my neighbor had a problem when her next door neighbor had her house power washed and they did not pay attention to which way the wind was blowing .Also make sure there is no electrical problems that could be shocking the fish .Under water lights or pumps that have bad wiring .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Does anyone recognize what the container beside the pond is in the second picture?
I can't tell if it's food or something else.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@E Ellis Hello and welcome. It sounds like we're on the right track here..... Please do answer the questions that @MitchM addressed. One thing people tend to forget is that fish grow. A pond that was perfect for many years can suddenly get out of whack just by the fact that the fish are now larger -- plus, fish have babies which also adds to the bio-load and oxygen demands. Hope we'll get to the root here, for you soon!

Your pond and garden are very lovely!

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Where in Southern Ontario?

From the photo shown, it would appear that the pond is overstocked.

Sounds like a lot of water changes in a relatively short period of time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
Rough count about 50 fish. No new fish added all from reproducing. The container is fish food I haven't fed the fish in awhile but the koi was hungry so I gave him a bit today. The gold fish are not eating. I live east of Port Perry near Blackstock. The farmer sprayed insecticide 2 weeks ago. He let us know he was doing it so we put tarps over the ponds. The tarps were on for awhile and not much wind so I don't think that's the problem. The fountain sits on the bottom but the pump is about a ft. down. The air stone is right at the fountain about 18" down. Even the little gold fish a gasping all sizes are dying the gold one do look pale the white ones hard to tell. No other signs they look fine. Water is well water and we drink it when we test it comes back good.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
it is food I have the same kind in a round container .Made by micobe .liftThat is the problem with goldfish they reproduce to fast .I prefer fat fantails they seem to never reproduce for me .The butterfly and fancy tails produce a lot of babies also

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If the farmer sprayed 2 weeks ago and the fish started dying 1 week ago, perhaps you received some rain that washed some insecticide into the pond.
Without more information, it's difficult to be certain.

I think you folks back east are in a heat wave, but like Meyer Jordan said, an O2 depletion problem should show up in the big fish first.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you say you covered the pond but did you cover those small pine trees and the taller plants and the statues close to the pond also and the deck .It can wash from anything .Even dew drips off leaves in the mornings and can carry poisons

Ask a Question