DH built me my stainless weir finally, yay!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Here's the falls before disassembling:

IMG_4044.JPG

That is an aluminum bowl type of some sort on top of the falls that DH brought home from work before he retired that they were throwing out and I use it on top of the falls and will be putting some of the variegated sedge grass in there. He's got several of those aluminum bowl thingies.

Here is my stainless waterfall tub he made several yrs ago all cleaned out and ready for the placement of the new weir:

IMG_4081.JPG

Here is the weir he made. I wanted it mail slot style so I can put a flat rock or something on top:

IMG_4076.JPG

IMG_4077.JPG

IMG_4079.JPG

Falls ready for the weir:

IMG_4082.JPG

PL gooping the spot for the weir:

IMG_4087.JPG

In goes the weir. He used goop and drilled holes for screws and more goop for a tight fit:

IMG_4090.JPG

PL goop needs to dry now for 24 hrs. The plants behind the falls on the corner of the deck that you can hardly see in the photo will be the ones going into the aluminum bowl that fits on top of the falls:

IMG_4098.JPG

More pictures to come after it dries and waterfall is turned back on and plants placed in bowl etc.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
alright...about time aye?....lol looks good! not as good as the ones someone else here makes. but good!! lol looking forward to thew working pics.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
alright...about time aye?....lol looks good! not as good as the ones someone else here makes. but good!! lol looking forward to thew working pics.

lol and whom might that be????????? you do build very nice weirs......... but love her stainless one with the rock shelf

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks guys! Koiguy you make lovely weirs and when I showed him yours he said cool and he wanted to try and make one for me out of stainless so it would match the tank. I also wanted that letterbox style that I saw on a youtube video once. Can't wait to turn the falls back on and sure do hope it all goes well!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
pretty neat maybe you could make a business out of the work he does .

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
JW, that looks nice, and you'll both enjoy building as a team project. To me that's the kind of things I like to remember about the whole Pond Build experience.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
sissy I don't think he wants to go into the making of stainless pond supplies. The steel is pretty expensive to buy and scraps are hard to come by. I'll leave the selling of the weirs to koiguy who makes excellent versions in various sizes.

Yep Larkin it is fun to get him involved w/ the pond stuff. He went out tonight after we got it all set up and running and turned my pond lights on out there and said to me to come back out and look at it in the dark w/ the lights on. He said we need a light behind the waterfall now,lol! Tomorrow I will take pix of it up and running. I just threw some rock on top of it and a few odds and end decor and put the plants in the aluminum bowl so it would look better w/ stuff added to make it look more el naturale. I will fool w/ it more later, maybe add some dangling plants to the sides coming down to the water or whatever I can think of. Any ideas would be much appreciated from anyone :razz:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hey saw at walmart a glow in the dark fake rock made of some type of rubber ,first time i ever saw anything like it and it was 7 dollars ,not very big about a foot by a foot shape .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is great jw! really neat to have the rock shelf on it

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks addy, needed something to hide that shiny steel and that rock fit on top perfect. I suppose if I wanted to I could put a container w/ some plants also but kind of like the rock thing for now. You know how that goes tho, I like to mix things up a bit now and then :razz:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Put a small plant on part of the rock and it will make it look even more natural .I have seen a few people here use those thick plastic plant bowls on top of there filters .Makes for a pretty seen as they place some pretty rocks in the planter with the plant .

Ask a Question