diatomaceous earth

Reaction score
Anyone here every had any experience with diatomaceous earth? I have used it in my freshwater fish tank when it was still fairly new and had an algae bloom. The way it works is while using a micron filter, you prime the filter with the diatomaceous earth powder. Once the powder is settled on the filter, you just let it run. It acts as a super fines filter, capable of filtering out even the smallest specks of algae. I will include a few pics. It cleared up my 55 gallon tank in about 10 minutes. I was amazed at how quick it worked. Just wondering if this would have any application in the pond world.

Attachments

• green.jpg
    green.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,231
  • clear.jpg
    clear.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 1,367
  • filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 1,160
Reaction score
Yes, I got the DE from a pool store. It is used for a lot of different things. My pond is in a algae bloom. I am thinking about trying it out. If I do I will document with some photos.

Reaction score
D.E. has different grades for different uses. You do not need much of it so to buy the aquarium fish safe or food grade that is more expensive isn't that big of a deal. I have a 5lb box that I've had for over 6 years and haven't even used 1/4 of it. One thing I did find out was you really don't need the DE with a micron filter 30 microns or below. I forgot to add the DE one time and just the micron filter did the job. I would even go a larger micron to see what works collecting the algae. I wouldn't use the DE in a pond only because of the volume. All the DE does is stick to the micron filter and make the media even smaller. Even in a 175G tank I clogged mine a few times. This is basically the DIY polish filter I descibed in a few other posts using a whole house sediment filter. I plan to plumb one in after my pump with a bypass. They do make reusable micron cartridges. When They clog you rinse them out or back wash them.

After reading Koiguy's skippy filter sticky this morning just before this post, I thought that even a tighter furnace filter in the water fall cascade might work instead of the laundry basket with pillow stuffing in it. Slightly less tacky i would think:lol:

Reaction score
I tried running my micron without the DE and had limited results. I ran it for a day and a half and it only cleared up marginally. After running with DE, it was clear in about 20 minutes. It does clog very easily, which it why I only use it for a short time if I am having some kind of issue with clarity. I think I have used the filter for a total of 2 hours since I bought it.

Reaction score
Just out of curiousity, do you know what micron the filter is? It would help determine what the largest is that will take out the little crap. I used a polish filter after water changes weather it needed it or not on my tanks. Even when the water was clear, it just seemed to give it an "invisible" look.
Looks like your using a Magnum H.O.T. filter? Or is it some sort of Vortex brand?

Reaction score
I do not know what the micron size of the filter I have is. But, it is the filter that came with my Magnum 250 H.O.T. Good eye! I tried looking up the part no. and found no info. It is a Marineland PAO140. And yes, I LOVE the way my tank looks after I use it. Crystal Clear! But its a pain to setup.

Reaction score
jrladd said:
I do not know what the micron size of the filter I have is. But, it is the filter that came with my Magnum 250 H.O.T. Good eye! I tried looking up the part no. and found no info. It is a Marineland PAO140. And yes, I LOVE the way my tank looks after I use it. Crystal Clear! But its a pain to setup.

I was going to use the Magnum, just for a polish filter. Then when I realized all it was is a micron cartridge with DE I went to Homo Depot and got a no-frills whole house sediment filter for like $11 back then. Went down the CPVC aisle and grabbed the male adapters a short length of pipe and a bunch of elbows. I friction fit most of it so I could use it on any size tank. Just used a spare pump I had and there you go. The way I plumbed the pipe and fittings it made a sort of hanger for it.

Reaction score
jrladd said:
Very nice. Got any pictures of it?

Holy Crap that took a while, but I'm glad you asked. I lost a ton of pics not backing up my PC's. I used to do it and I found a disc that had some fish pics on it, but more important a ton of my kids that I thought where gone forever. Anyway here is a version of it from like 2005 or 2006.
CopyofIMAG0079-1.jpg

Reaction score
Very nice. I have that same filter on my house water lines.(Actually 3 of them, each with different levels of filtration.) Never even thought to use one in my tank....or pond.... Is that just a small power head driving it?

Do you use this with DE? If so, how do you get the DE into the filter. When I use mine, I put a container over the input and output so its separated from the tank water. Then I pour the powder into the container and wait till the powder all lands on the filter and the water is clear. Otherwise you end up with a tank full or white powder.

Reaction score
jrladd said:
Very nice. I have that same filter on my house water lines.(Actually 3 of them, each with different levels of filtration.) Never even thought to use one in my tank....or pond.... Is that just a small power head driving it?

Do you use this with DE? If so, how do you get the DE into the filter. When I use mine, I put a container over the input and output so its separated from the tank water. Then I pour the powder into the container and wait till the powder all lands on the filter and the water is clear. Otherwise you end up with a tank full or white powder.

Yup, just a small powerhead, a Rio90 or slightly larger. I would use a short section of vinyl tube to connect different size pumps to it. To use DE I would just swing the elbow up on the intake and use a funnel to put in the powder. Then I would pour some water in to wash it to the filter housing. The nice thing about this is you can use a 25 to 1 micron cartridge. I think the magnum is a 50 micron or higher. I even stopped using the DE when I realized it came out fine without it. My only concern with DE was breathing it in. Nasty stuff and bad for the lungs. Took about 20minutes with that little powerhead in a 29G tank and just the filter. I think I mentioned I am going to try to plumb one of these in to the pond. It will be in place with the by-pass for draining some water for water changes. I have some barrels that I will store the water in for watering the garden. I just plan on having a barbed fitting on the output of the filter. I will use the better filter with a built in by-pass. I can then use a vinyl tube to direct the water like a hose. When I remove some water put the tube in the barrels or directly on the garden. When I am polishing put it right to the pond.

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
If someone figures this out for a pond, I'll be interested in seeing the results of that experiment for sure!

You will, I can do it the way I just mentioned with it permanently installed or a large scale of the one in the tank. I actually have 1/2 of the tank one now just for pumping out the hole when it fills with rain. All I would need to do is pop the filter in-line and add a return. I guarentee I would have to unclog it about 2-3 times, but it would work.

Ask a Question