Did the duck abandon this nest?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I have another post on here about our duck but I wanted to add a new thread with a new title to better reflect my question.

Our duck had been sitting on her nest every day for a full month BUT now she hasn't been on it since yesterday morning. We had nasty thunderstorms yesterday and we saw her just hanging out in the yard but not on the nest. Today she is nowhere to be found.

Is this a cause for concern? Do you think she'll be back? How long can she be away before we declare the eggs a lost cause?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I agree it does not sound good. I would wait a few days before you remove the eggs just to make sure. it usually takes 28 days for hatching. Mom will leave but usually always comes back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
She's been sitting on the nest daily since 5/23 until yesterday so it would be about hatching time right now if anything was viable.

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Take some in and keep them warm see what happens. Leave some for momma.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
We haven't seen momma duck in about 5 days. I removed the remaining eggs from the nest last night.

I think something got to them. There were at least 10 in the beginning but I only removed 5. Momma duck knew it was hopeless!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You can try to candle them to see if they are alive or not. Abandoned for 5 days the egg's probably dead by now though. May be next time.

Ask a Question