DId we all survive the long winter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
Ok, I'm late to this thread, but the only fish I lost were ones that some critter got 2 weeks ago and left them lying in the middle of my backyard lawn ( too far for them to have jumped. One minnow and one gold fish. Other than that, just the usual "over-winter" string algae bloom. Tested the water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH etc, and all is well in the chemistry department. The water fall is up and running, and I've seen some dragon fly nymphs and damsel fly larvae .... and our first frog of the season. Been a nice steady 16*C to 22*C for the last few days and expected to stay so for at least the next five days.

Too, the plants are coming along nicely. :) ( Too early yet for hyacinth .... maybe after the May 24 long weekend).

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thats good. I got the fall running today as well. Fish loss is less then 10 out of 50 and no koi. I guess is good but not great. Water chem is good also. Now to plaay with the lights & hookup again yea!!!!

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Oh yea, the air pump worked great all winter. My floating heater sank lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
waynefrcan said:
Oh yea, the air pump worked great all winter. My floating heater sank lol.
I had an aquarium heater meant for a 15 to 30 gallon tank Kept the water open except for on the coldest days when I'd just get a thin coating of ice.... that plus my duel outlet aquarium air pump and bubble stones kept the water moving a bit.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thanks great that your Koi survived the winter Wayne, can't wait to see your pretty pond lights all up and going again.
Good thinking Pugle, I would have never thought to use a fish tank heater and little air pump for smaller ponds in less harsh climates!! You both have done well and thank goodness winter is GONE!! :)

Reaction score
It was Gr8 reading how everyone did this past winter. So sorry about the fish loss for those who had them, whether weather related of critter related. We had a relatively mild winter here as well and I believe everyone made it this winter. It was questionable for one Goldie though. Late winter I saw it swimming vertically and although I tried to net it, with my pond being a 24" round swimming pool, converted to a pond I was unable to net it. Once the weather got warmer, I have not seen the fish swimming that way, nor have I seen it floating. We have had 1 Bull Frog sighted for quite a few days in addition to 1 Green Frog in a smaller kiddy pool so things are looking good. No sighting of the GBH from last spring, but just in case, I have more Mylar reflective ribbon to tie to a post in addition, I purchased a large pinwheel to add to the motion features. LOL My Skippy is set up and running, but had to shut it down during the recent storms due to electrical issues. I have more scrubbies in the ready. All in all, it is good to be back and hoping everyone has a successful ponding season. BTW, although it was not cold enough to warrant the livestock heater, my homemade light bulb heater was just right for the times we had a slight freezing of the water surface. I had 2 running at times, but one bit the dust so one did most of the melting and it worked like a champ. Happy Ponding!

Shoestring Ponder :goldfish:

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
OMG!!! Shoestring!!! It is ME, COLLEEN!! Long time no hear! So very happy to are you are back! I missed you so it is nice to hear you and your fishes are all accounted for! My thread missed you and your comments and general everyday chit chat with you too. :)

Wayne is working on getting his pond light up and running, so that will be exciting to see his beautiful island pond....
Puggle is back at it too, so nice to have pond friends ..... :)

Reaction score
Hi Colleen and others! Gr8 reading you as well. It just took me a while to get back on board. DH is still working oos in IL. My Mom passed away early Dec. and it has bee hectic and somewhat traumatic going through her things. I have been quite busy and then finally noticed we are into Spring and my pond started calling out to me. I love it and it is neat to see the lily's and lizards tongue and cattails emerge. I also have another Lotus pod in water on my windowsill and that leaf is emerging as well. It was just too cool seeing the Bull Frog in the pond. I wonder if it was GW from last summer...but lately I have not seen it/her. Although my "pond" is not as nice as some, it is restorative to my spirit and relaxing and I love the life it is producing. Happy Ponding...All!

Shoestring Ponder :goldfish:

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
You still the best ponder Colleen sister! Final stages this year with trees, shrubs, flowers, and plants for the pond. I will ask you some questions when the time arises.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
waynefrcan said:
Thats good. I got the fall running today as well. Fish loss is less then 10 out of 50 and no koi. I guess is good but not great. Water chem is good also. Now to plaay with the lights & hookup again yea!!!!
I'm thinking the winter is a good way to cull the herd of the weak or sick. And Humane as well. The large goldfish with the cold water fungus didn't make it. The stronger ones never did get it.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Eventually you will end up with all healthy hardy fish. Newly purchased fish that come from the pet store are never as healthy as the ones that live outside. Some Newly purchased fish never do grow to be as strong as the babies that are born in the pond. Even after a year or two in the pond, the new fish still will never be as strong as the fish that grew up in the pond. Fish that are bred indoors are much much weaker, as natural selection does not happen like in the pond, and most eggs will hatch and the pampered life can make them weak. In an outdoor pond, usually only the very strongest and biggest and fastest will grow up and survive. The weakest fish seem to always come from commercially bred fish as well. If someone has "home grown" fish for sale that are not commercially bred, those are always the best as they are better cared for as well.

Ask a Question