Did you dig it?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Septic drain fields have gravel around the pipes that have holes in them to allow the dispersion of the black water.

Reaction score
what we are doing now guys is to carry on digging to the side of the manhole but the problem i am having is the white clay or chalk we are finding ever so hard to dig out?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it isn't "Plaster of Paris". When my drain field was dug, they poured bags of pre-mix concrete in areas where ground water might seep into the drain field. Plaster of Paris could also be used and it is white and easily dug or broken with a pick.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
you never did say if you are on city sewer. but you said the line was dry. if it was the line from your house ,i think you would definitely no it, even with your eye,s shut. i find old lines like that in town once in a while. we do have pea gravel hear. like DrD said get a pick out and get it done

Reaction score
Took a whole summer and fall to dig mine out by hand- rototiller first. That got old:grumble:

So, we rented a Bobcat excavator and yanked out a big old apple tree that was in the way(from the orchard days) and piled up the waterfalls mound. Made the pond a foot deeper and about 15 feet wider while i was at it. (took me half the day to get the hang of running the monster)
profile.gif

Reaction score
I'm digging mine right now. Sits at 9x8 and two feet deep today. I have solid hard clay. I have my trusty pickax and going slow. It is getting me in shape. I have about a foot to go.

Thomas
turtleman

Reaction score
Turtleman said:
I'm digging mine right now. Sits at 9x8 and two feet deep today. I have solid hard clay. I have my trusty pickax and going slow. It is getting me in shape. I have about a foot to go.

Thomas
turtleman

We have clay, too. The red kind they use to make bricks. The only way i could get anywhere with digging was to use my FIL's rototiller to break it up first.

At least it's getting a little cooler out. Hope that last foot will go smoothly for you.

Glad though that i did most of the digging by hand. Does give a measure of satisfaction and what a workout!!!:banana:
profile.gif

Reaction score
I dug mine by hand (and shovel:eek2:), too. I picked a bad time to start (July 3rd), but in the end it worked out OK. I spent about 8 hours over three days digging. The pond's roughly 16' x 8' with an average depth of about 2.5'.
It's somewhat in the shape of an '8', with a large waterfall at one end, a small stream at the other, and a bridge over the center (built the bridge myself, too). First time pond-builder, turned out great. We have 18 goldfish and many types of plants. Had a problem with 'pea soup' water at first, but figured that out quickly and the water's been crystal clear for two months now (knock on wood). Nice forum you guys and gals have here. This is my first post. Cheers !

Reaction score
Nice work! Thanks for sharing. Having the algae problem really helps enjoy the clarity later on.:icon_biggrin:

Reaction score
Headlights really come in handy at times!:icon_smile:

Looks like you were able to do the job in no time.:bowdown:

Reaction score
I am digging mine by hand now. !st 12 inches easy. next 10 not so easy. I am almost at 25 to 30 inches to go. I do this mostly on days off so it is taking time but not too long. Best part is the walls slope from here on out. Hey at least I can say I am almost half way done. With the pond that is~
Still have 4 filter chambers to dig, but they are not so deep. Thank God.....
It was my bright idea for this pond so I got nobody to blame...

Reaction score
Dug all three of mine by hand and a tiller. Have redone 2 so far the the third one next spring. Then there will be NO shelves in them. No shelves means no coons or devil birds, waiting on a shelf for a snack.

Attachments

• DSCF0026_2.jpg
    DSCF0026_2.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 359
  • 100_1047.jpg
    100_1047.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 327

Ask a Question